Apr 13, 2012, 10:29 PM EST
Despite getting 12 power-play opportunities in the first two games of the first round, the Nashville Predators haven been unable to score with the man advantage against the Detroit Red Wings. You might shrug that kind of information off as something that’s to be expected.
After all, the Predators don’t have a James Neal, Evgeni Malkin, Corey Perry, or Steven Stamkos on their team. In fact they only had two guys who finished the season with over 20 goals and neither of them reached the 30-goal mark. So how good could they really be with the man advantage? Very.
The Predators ranked first in the NHL with a 21.6% power-play success rate in the regular season. Over a fifth of their goals were scored with the man advantage. So when they can’t capitalize on their opportunities, it’s a big deal.
By contrast, Detroit struggled during the regular season in power-play opportunities and they haven’t been remarkable when it comes to killing penalties either.
One of the clear advantages that the Predators had going into this series was their ability to take advantage of another team’s mistakes. If you take that away from them, then it’s hard to see them getting past the first round.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 48
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)