Apr 13, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT
Despite getting 12 power-play opportunities in the first two games of the first round, the Nashville Predators haven been unable to score with the man advantage against the Detroit Red Wings. You might shrug that kind of information off as something that’s to be expected.
After all, the Predators don’t have a James Neal, Evgeni Malkin, Corey Perry, or Steven Stamkos on their team. In fact they only had two guys who finished the season with over 20 goals and neither of them reached the 30-goal mark. So how good could they really be with the man advantage? Very.
The Predators ranked first in the NHL with a 21.6% power-play success rate in the regular season. Over a fifth of their goals were scored with the man advantage. So when they can’t capitalize on their opportunities, it’s a big deal.
By contrast, Detroit struggled during the regular season in power-play opportunities and they haven’t been remarkable when it comes to killing penalties either.
One of the clear advantages that the Predators had going into this series was their ability to take advantage of another team’s mistakes. If you take that away from them, then it’s hard to see them getting past the first round.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 6
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 15
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)