Apr 13, 2012, 9:09 PM EST
According to a recent Angus Reid poll that surveyed Canadians, the Vancouver Canucks are not the most hated NHL team in Canada. The Toronto Maple Leafs are with 33% of self-described hockey fans saying that they hate the Leafs more than any other Canadian NHL franchise.
Which is the most beloved NHL franchise in Canada? That would be the Montreal Canadiens.
Undeterred by their losing season, nearly a quarter of hockey fans named the Montreal Canadiens as their favorite Canadian NHL franchise. If you include all people surveyed, that number drops to 19%.
That’s not too surprising. Fans might get angry with their favorite squad when they’re struggling and make their feelings known, but it’s less common for people to throw their hands up in the air and start rooting for a different team.
What’s interesting is that the Toronto Maple Leafs captured the hearts of 20% of hockey fans to come in second place. Yes, Toronto is both the second most loved franchise and the most hated. So the one thing you can say about the Leafs is, based on that poll, they bring out strong emotions in most Canadian hockey fans.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4