Apr 13, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
According to a recent Angus Reid poll that surveyed Canadians, the Vancouver Canucks are not the most hated NHL team in Canada. The Toronto Maple Leafs are with 33% of self-described hockey fans saying that they hate the Leafs more than any other Canadian NHL franchise.
Which is the most beloved NHL franchise in Canada? That would be the Montreal Canadiens.
Undeterred by their losing season, nearly a quarter of hockey fans named the Montreal Canadiens as their favorite Canadian NHL franchise. If you include all people surveyed, that number drops to 19%.
That’s not too surprising. Fans might get angry with their favorite squad when they’re struggling and make their feelings known, but it’s less common for people to throw their hands up in the air and start rooting for a different team.
What’s interesting is that the Toronto Maple Leafs captured the hearts of 20% of hockey fans to come in second place. Yes, Toronto is both the second most loved franchise and the most hated. So the one thing you can say about the Leafs is, based on that poll, they bring out strong emotions in most Canadian hockey fans.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car