Apr 13, 2012, 2:28 PM EST
It’s put the Flyers goalie back in the media spotlight, inspired Penguins fans to show up at Game 1 wearing bear outfits and, most importantly, bolstered the Pittsburgh costume rental industry.
“With the bears, the only one I have left is a teddy bear, and people just don’t seem to think that it’s frightening enough,” Nicki Paglieri, manager at a Costume World location in Pittsburgh, said on Friday. “The other ones were good, though.”
The other ones ended up online and on television on Wednesday, when a handful of fans in rented bear costumes tried to unsettle Bryzgalov as he faced their hometown Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final series. It might have helped in the first period, as the Penguins took a quick lead, but the intimidation must have faded as the game wore on, and the Flyers won in overtime.
Paglieri said she fielded at least two more calls for bear costumes on Thursday, with the Penguins preparing to host the Flyers in Game 2 on Friday night. The two bear suits she rented earlier in the week were on three-to-five-day contracts, though, which meant all she had left in stock was the teddy bear — and a penguin suit.
She has successfully rented out the penguin suit.
It should be noted that a full bear costume costs $125, while renting just the head and mittens will run you 50 bucks. Cleaning costs are included in the price, though it’s unlikely any amount of cleaning will erase the smell of “all the disturbing things people do while wearing bear a costume.”(Image courtesy Crossing Broad.)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)