Apr 13, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
It’s put the Flyers goalie back in the media spotlight, inspired Penguins fans to show up at Game 1 wearing bear outfits and, most importantly, bolstered the Pittsburgh costume rental industry.
“With the bears, the only one I have left is a teddy bear, and people just don’t seem to think that it’s frightening enough,” Nicki Paglieri, manager at a Costume World location in Pittsburgh, said on Friday. “The other ones were good, though.”
The other ones ended up online and on television on Wednesday, when a handful of fans in rented bear costumes tried to unsettle Bryzgalov as he faced their hometown Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final series. It might have helped in the first period, as the Penguins took a quick lead, but the intimidation must have faded as the game wore on, and the Flyers won in overtime.
Paglieri said she fielded at least two more calls for bear costumes on Thursday, with the Penguins preparing to host the Flyers in Game 2 on Friday night. The two bear suits she rented earlier in the week were on three-to-five-day contracts, though, which meant all she had left in stock was the teddy bear — and a penguin suit.
She has successfully rented out the penguin suit.
It should be noted that a full bear costume costs $125, while renting just the head and mittens will run you 50 bucks. Cleaning costs are included in the price, though it’s unlikely any amount of cleaning will erase the smell of “all the disturbing things people do while wearing bear a costume.”(Image courtesy Crossing Broad.)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 8
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)