Apr 13, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
Florida coach Kevin Dineen still hasn’t announced his starting goalie for tonight’s game against the Devils, but if it’s Scott Clemmensen, you can bet there will be a motivated player between the pipes.
And not just because it’s the playoffs.
As the Star-Ledger reminds us, Clemmensen wasn’t exactly buddy-buddy with current Devils coach Pete DeBoer when DeBoer was coaching in Florida. And for that matter, nor were many of the other Panthers.
“There was friction between (DeBoer) and a lot of players. I just think that was his coaching style,” Clemmensen said. “There’s the pat on the back coach and the kick (butt) coach. I think he was the latter.”
DeBoer didn’t deny there was friction, though he rationalized it with the fact the Panthers were a losing team.
“We pushed people maybe beyond what they were capable of doing,” he said. “There was friction there. Not personal.”
Another player that had a tumultuous relationship with DeBoer was defenseman Keith Ballard, now with the Canucks.
“He was trying to push me, get more out of me and I’m the first guy to say he should have done so,’’ Ballard said after being traded to Vancouver two years ago. “We raised our voices behind closed doors. We’re competitive people. I’m not the first player to get into a shouting match with a coach and I sure won’t be the last.”
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)