Apr 13, 2012, 11:47 PM EDT
Claude Giroux led the Flyers with 12 points in 11 playoff games in 2011. That was impressive, but in Friday’s 8-5 Flyers victory he was Gretzky-esque. Or should I say Lemieux-esque, seeing as it was Mario who last matched Giroux’s feat of six points in a single playoff game back on April 23, 1992.
Tonight, Giroux also set a Flyers franchise record for the most points in a postseason contest. Not to mention that he found the back of the net on the man advantage and with his team shorthanded.
All these factoids serve to highlight one central point — he was awesome on Friday and gave one of the best performances in recent memory. It was a once-in-a-career type of night, though given that he’s just 24, he might defy that statement.
What’s more is by making history, Giroux has ensured the Penguins will have to make some history of their own if they want to win this series. No team has ever beaten the Flyers after Philadelphia has taken a 2-0 series lead. Pittsburgh will have to either become the first or suffer its second straight first round exit in as many seasons.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)