Apr 13, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
Just how big is Friday’s game for the Pittsburgh Penguins? Well, if they lose, they’ll have to fight against history to advance past the first round.
The Philadelphia Flyers took a 1-0 series lead with their stunning 4-3 OT comeback win on Wednesday. They’ve shown all season is that they know how to dig themselves out of a hole. In recent history, Philadelphia has also shown that they are capable of overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds in the playoffs. However, it hasn’t worked both ways.
The Philadelphia Flyers have never coughed up a 2-0 series lead. They have claimed a 2-0 lead in 17 series over their 44-year history and have advanced all 17 times. Maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins can be the team that breaks that trend, but we’re certain they would rather avoid that scenario entirely.
“It’s Game 1. It’s one win,” Max Talbot said. “It probably won’t mean much if we don’t win Game 2.”
That’s true, but it will mean a lot if the Flyers do win on Friday.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9