Apr 13, 2012, 6:25 PM EST
In celebration of the Florida Panthers’ first playoff game in over a decade (tonight at 7 p.m. ET on NHL Network), here are five things that happened on April 20, 2000, the day they made their last postseason appearance, losing 4-1 to New Jersey and getting swept out of the first round.
1. The New York Times ran a story about a college that had something called a “high-speed wireless network” which allowed students to “have laptops equipped with transceivers and antennas to pick up and transfer Internet signals.”
2. The St. Louis Cardinals knocked off the San Diego Padres, 14-1, at Busch Stadium. Mark McGwire failed to get a hit for the Cards, but he did score twice.
And then for some reason he went into a rage and flipped over a car.
3. A bunch of people went to see Rules of Engagement, a military court drama starring Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones, and left disappointed.
4. While attending the Capital Radio awards in London, Britney Spears looked like this:
5. The top song on the Billboard pop chart was this:
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 1
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 5
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)