Apr 13, 2012, 6:25 PM EST
In celebration of the Florida Panthers’ first playoff game in over a decade (tonight at 7 p.m. ET on NHL Network), here are five things that happened on April 20, 2000, the day they made their last postseason appearance, losing 4-1 to New Jersey and getting swept out of the first round.
1. The New York Times ran a story about a college that had something called a “high-speed wireless network” which allowed students to “have laptops equipped with transceivers and antennas to pick up and transfer Internet signals.”
2. The St. Louis Cardinals knocked off the San Diego Padres, 14-1, at Busch Stadium. Mark McGwire failed to get a hit for the Cards, but he did score twice.
And then for some reason he went into a rage and flipped over a car.
3. A bunch of people went to see Rules of Engagement, a military court drama starring Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones, and left disappointed.
4. While attending the Capital Radio awards in London, Britney Spears looked like this:
5. The top song on the Billboard pop chart was this:
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 4
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 72
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (72)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)