Apr 13, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT
To paraphrase Herb Brooks, if the Phoenix Coyotes lost tonight’s game, they would have taken it to their graves. OK, so losing Game 1 in overtime to the Chicago Blackhawks isn’t anywhere near as gnawing as the thought of the 1980 U.S. Olympic team losing to Finland after beating the Russians, but the ‘Yotes would have regretted it nonetheless. Instead, Phoenix takes a nice 1-0 series win in a 4-3 overtime victory.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are a few thoughts to get your debates started.
- Jonathan Toews scored a goal and an assist in a whopping 24:29 of ice time. Boy, Joel Quenneville really needs to take off the training wheels and let the kid play, right?
- Mike Smith made 43 saves tonight. Will this series be a coming out party for a goalie who wouldn’t look out of place among the Vezina Trophy finalists?
- Speaking of players getting some needed attention, Martin Hanzal‘s one of hockey’s best kept secrets as a shutdown center. Could his tip-in overtime winner grab him some solid limelight?
- Phoenix won despite the Blackhawks’ big names showing up (for the most part). Can Chicago get by on star power alone or will they require depth? If the answer is “Choice B,” then who might step up?
- Liam McHugh reveals that this is Phoenix’s first OT playoff win since April 1999. Let me ask: how different was your life back then?
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)