Apr 13, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT
To paraphrase Herb Brooks, if the Phoenix Coyotes lost tonight’s game, they would have taken it to their graves. OK, so losing Game 1 in overtime to the Chicago Blackhawks isn’t anywhere near as gnawing as the thought of the 1980 U.S. Olympic team losing to Finland after beating the Russians, but the ‘Yotes would have regretted it nonetheless. Instead, Phoenix takes a nice 1-0 series win in a 4-3 overtime victory.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are a few thoughts to get your debates started.
- Jonathan Toews scored a goal and an assist in a whopping 24:29 of ice time. Boy, Joel Quenneville really needs to take off the training wheels and let the kid play, right?
- Mike Smith made 43 saves tonight. Will this series be a coming out party for a goalie who wouldn’t look out of place among the Vezina Trophy finalists?
- Speaking of players getting some needed attention, Martin Hanzal‘s one of hockey’s best kept secrets as a shutdown center. Could his tip-in overtime winner grab him some solid limelight?
- Phoenix won despite the Blackhawks’ big names showing up (for the most part). Can Chicago get by on star power alone or will they require depth? If the answer is “Choice B,” then who might step up?
- Liam McHugh reveals that this is Phoenix’s first OT playoff win since April 1999. Let me ask: how different was your life back then?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)