Apr 13, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
At first, it looked like the New Jersey Devils would make the Florida Panthers look as bad as many expected. The Devils generated a three-goal lead in the first period while they piled up a ridiculous 26-9 shot advantage in just 20 minutes of play. Things evened out quite a bit through the rest of the game but the Devils still won 3-2 to take a 1-0 series lead.
Let’s get the discussion started.
- Martin Brodeur won his 100th playoff game (more on that soon). How many more does he have in him – both in this year’s playoffs and the rest of his career?
- Is there any concern that the Devils might get a little overconfident after a win like this – especially in front of a relatively friendly crowd?
- It’s pretty tough to pin any of this on Jose Theodore, yet Scott Clemmensen has had his old team’s number. How long will it take for people to plead with Kevin Dineen to make a goaltending change?
- For quite some time, the Devils seemed like a top-heavy team. They’ve developed some complimentary scoring this season, though, so it begs the question: how strong of a dark horse candidate can New Jersey be?
- Feel free to make a pro-Florida argument. This series is far from over, but some are likely already writing them off.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)