Apr 13, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
At first, it looked like the New Jersey Devils would make the Florida Panthers look as bad as many expected. The Devils generated a three-goal lead in the first period while they piled up a ridiculous 26-9 shot advantage in just 20 minutes of play. Things evened out quite a bit through the rest of the game but the Devils still won 3-2 to take a 1-0 series lead.
Let’s get the discussion started.
- Martin Brodeur won his 100th playoff game (more on that soon). How many more does he have in him – both in this year’s playoffs and the rest of his career?
- Is there any concern that the Devils might get a little overconfident after a win like this – especially in front of a relatively friendly crowd?
- It’s pretty tough to pin any of this on Jose Theodore, yet Scott Clemmensen has had his old team’s number. How long will it take for people to plead with Kevin Dineen to make a goaltending change?
- For quite some time, the Devils seemed like a top-heavy team. They’ve developed some complimentary scoring this season, though, so it begs the question: how strong of a dark horse candidate can New Jersey be?
- Feel free to make a pro-Florida argument. This series is far from over, but some are likely already writing them off.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)