Apr 13, 2012, 9:35 PM EST
At first, it looked like the New Jersey Devils would make the Florida Panthers look as bad as many expected. The Devils generated a three-goal lead in the first period while they piled up a ridiculous 26-9 shot advantage in just 20 minutes of play. Things evened out quite a bit through the rest of the game but the Devils still won 3-2 to take a 1-0 series lead.
Let’s get the discussion started.
- Martin Brodeur won his 100th playoff game (more on that soon). How many more does he have in him – both in this year’s playoffs and the rest of his career?
- Is there any concern that the Devils might get a little overconfident after a win like this – especially in front of a relatively friendly crowd?
- It’s pretty tough to pin any of this on Jose Theodore, yet Scott Clemmensen has had his old team’s number. How long will it take for people to plead with Kevin Dineen to make a goaltending change?
- For quite some time, the Devils seemed like a top-heavy team. They’ve developed some complimentary scoring this season, though, so it begs the question: how strong of a dark horse candidate can New Jersey be?
- Feel free to make a pro-Florida argument. This series is far from over, but some are likely already writing them off.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (55)