Apr 13, 2012, 10:26 PM EDT
Even obscure history isn’t on the Pittsburgh Penguins side after tonight’s stunning 8-5 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers, which places the Penguins in a 2-0 hole as the series switches to Philly. Both Sean Couturier and Claude Giroux collected hat tricks while the Penguins coughed up 2-0, 3-1, 4-3 and 5-4 leads in a game that must have been as unnerving for Dan Bylsma as it was entertaining for the rest of the hockey world.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Expect more on this mind-blowing game (and feel free to ramble on other topics), but here are a few things to ponder:
- For all the abuse that Ilya Bryzgalov‘s received, Marc-Andre Fleury allowed seven goals on 30 shots. Is it time to throw “MAF” under the bus?
- Speaking of playing the blame game, it’s likely that Dan Bylsma might receive some after seeing his team cough up an unnerving series of leads. Is he being out-coached by Peter Laviolette? What would you do if you were in his shoes?
- Where do Laviolette’s timeouts rank in the tide-changing timeout pantheon? If they were physical events, they’d have to be sent to the Hall of Fame, right?
- How much more does it burn for Penguins fans to see that Jaromir Jagr scored the game-winner?
- As you may have heard, the Flyers are 17-0 all-time when they’ve opened up a 2-0 series lead. Can the Penguins make history by rebounding and winning the series?
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)