Apr 13, 2012, 1:51 PM EST
It wasn’t as blatant as Danny Briere’s missed offside or the blown too-many-men call last night in Phoenix, but unlike the first two officiating lapses, this one undeniably cost the St. Louis Blues last night’s series opener against the Sharks.
We’re of course referring to San Jose’s overtime winner that was predicated by a pick play, intentional or not, that would have made Karl Malone and John Stockton proud.
A description of the goal from CSNBayArea.com:
Controlling the puck along the boards, Logan Couture dumped it down low to Ryane Clowe. Couture immediately charged towards the corner, when he collided with the Blues’ Vladimir Sobotka, who was trying to defend Clowe. That gave Clowe plenty of time to set up [Martin] Havlat between the circles for a one-timer that gave the Sharks an exciting victory in the playoff opener.
In the spirit of Abraham Zapruder, here’s the goal in four frames:
Not surprisingly, Couture isn’t admitting any wrongdoing.
“Clowie was yelling for it, I went towards the puck, and Sobotka ran into me so it created a little hole for Marty,” Couture said.
“I’m going towards the puck into the corner, trying to get it if Clowie reverses it. He’s standing there, he runs into me, I run into him, so…”
So the Sharks are up 1-0 in the series.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)