Apr 13, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
It wasn’t as blatant as Danny Briere’s missed offside or the blown too-many-men call last night in Phoenix, but unlike the first two officiating lapses, this one undeniably cost the St. Louis Blues last night’s series opener against the Sharks.
We’re of course referring to San Jose’s overtime winner that was predicated by a pick play, intentional or not, that would have made Karl Malone and John Stockton proud.
A description of the goal from CSNBayArea.com:
Controlling the puck along the boards, Logan Couture dumped it down low to Ryane Clowe. Couture immediately charged towards the corner, when he collided with the Blues’ Vladimir Sobotka, who was trying to defend Clowe. That gave Clowe plenty of time to set up [Martin] Havlat between the circles for a one-timer that gave the Sharks an exciting victory in the playoff opener.
In the spirit of Abraham Zapruder, here’s the goal in four frames:
Not surprisingly, Couture isn’t admitting any wrongdoing.
“Clowie was yelling for it, I went towards the puck, and Sobotka ran into me so it created a little hole for Marty,” Couture said.
“I’m going towards the puck into the corner, trying to get it if Clowie reverses it. He’s standing there, he runs into me, I run into him, so…”
So the Sharks are up 1-0 in the series.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)