Apr 12, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Here’s a breakdown of the San Jose Sharks/St. Louis Blues series going into Game 1 on Thursday (CNBC, 7:30pm ET):This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This is certainly a playoff series to watch. It seems easy to dismiss what the Blues did during the regular season and write them off as a team that simply over performed. However, St. Louis has been on the cusp of a big breakout for a couple of seasons and while I doubt that there are many analysis that expected it to be this dramatic, St. Louis did have reason to be optimistic entering the 2011-12 campaign.
The question now is if their younger and less experienced players can step up like they did in the regular season. On the flipside, you have to wonder if the Sharks, who have a reputation of falling short in the postseason, gain anything by having some of the pressure taken off of them as a seventh seed. We’ll start to find out the answer to those questions tonight.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)