Apr 12, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Here’s a breakdown of the San Jose Sharks/St. Louis Blues series going into Game 1 on Thursday (CNBC, 7:30pm ET):This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This is certainly a playoff series to watch. It seems easy to dismiss what the Blues did during the regular season and write them off as a team that simply over performed. However, St. Louis has been on the cusp of a big breakout for a couple of seasons and while I doubt that there are many analysis that expected it to be this dramatic, St. Louis did have reason to be optimistic entering the 2011-12 campaign.
The question now is if their younger and less experienced players can step up like they did in the regular season. On the flipside, you have to wonder if the Sharks, who have a reputation of falling short in the postseason, gain anything by having some of the pressure taken off of them as a seventh seed. We’ll start to find out the answer to those questions tonight.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)