Apr 12, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
Here’s a breakdown of the San Jose Sharks/St. Louis Blues series going into Game 1 on Thursday (CNBC, 7:30pm ET):This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This is certainly a playoff series to watch. It seems easy to dismiss what the Blues did during the regular season and write them off as a team that simply over performed. However, St. Louis has been on the cusp of a big breakout for a couple of seasons and while I doubt that there are many analysis that expected it to be this dramatic, St. Louis did have reason to be optimistic entering the 2011-12 campaign.
The question now is if their younger and less experienced players can step up like they did in the regular season. On the flipside, you have to wonder if the Sharks, who have a reputation of falling short in the postseason, gain anything by having some of the pressure taken off of them as a seventh seed. We’ll start to find out the answer to those questions tonight.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 23
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)