Apr 12, 2012, 1:16 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for things to get ugly between the Canucks and Kings.
Midway through the second period of LA’s 4-2 win on Wednesday night, Vancouver forward Byron Bitz — who’d only recently broke back into the lineup after an extended stay in AHL Chicago — caught Kings forward Kyle Clifford with this nasty hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bitz was given a five minute boarding major on the play and a game misconduct. Clifford left the contest and didn’t return, with the Kings announcing he’d suffered an upper body injury. (Early speculation was a possible concussion — Clifford looked woozy trying to leave the ice.)
This could be just one of the plays NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan reviews tomorrow. Late in Nashville’s 3-2 victory over Detroit, Predators defenseman Shea Weber slammed Henrik Zetterberg’s head into the end-boards glass.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 6
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)