Apr 12, 2012, 1:16 AM EST
It didn’t take long for things to get ugly between the Canucks and Kings.
Midway through the second period of LA’s 4-2 win on Wednesday night, Vancouver forward Byron Bitz — who’d only recently broke back into the lineup after an extended stay in AHL Chicago — caught Kings forward Kyle Clifford with this nasty hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bitz was given a five minute boarding major on the play and a game misconduct. Clifford left the contest and didn’t return, with the Kings announcing he’d suffered an upper body injury. (Early speculation was a possible concussion — Clifford looked woozy trying to leave the ice.)
This could be just one of the plays NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan reviews tomorrow. Late in Nashville’s 3-2 victory over Detroit, Predators defenseman Shea Weber slammed Henrik Zetterberg’s head into the end-boards glass.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)