Apr 12, 2012, 1:16 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for things to get ugly between the Canucks and Kings.
Midway through the second period of LA’s 4-2 win on Wednesday night, Vancouver forward Byron Bitz — who’d only recently broke back into the lineup after an extended stay in AHL Chicago — caught Kings forward Kyle Clifford with this nasty hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bitz was given a five minute boarding major on the play and a game misconduct. Clifford left the contest and didn’t return, with the Kings announcing he’d suffered an upper body injury. (Early speculation was a possible concussion — Clifford looked woozy trying to leave the ice.)
This could be just one of the plays NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan reviews tomorrow. Late in Nashville’s 3-2 victory over Detroit, Predators defenseman Shea Weber slammed Henrik Zetterberg’s head into the end-boards glass.
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 5
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 25
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)