Apr 12, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
If Edmonton GM Steve Tambellini can improve his team, and improve it now, he’s willing to trade the Oilers’ first overall pick.
Which is to say, he’s willing to trade Nail Yakupov.
“We’ll be listening to other teams’ ideas,” Tambellini said, as reported by Postmedia. “I’m excited. I’ve been thinking about this for a lot of hours now. We have a wonderful opportunity where we’re accumulating some elite players and we can leave this draft with a significant piece or package.
“If I have an option to get a solid pick and someone to help the current club, I have to strongly look at that. You listen to comments from players post-season. I think Taylor Hall was saying, ‘Yeah, we’ve got these good young kids, but I want to win. I want to show we can win in this city now.’ That’s leadership.”
For all the young talent the Oilers boast up front, they’ve got gaping holes on the back end. And if the Oilers want to start winning now, they might not want to draft a defenseman and wait for him to develop if they can get an established top-four defender. Or, at least a prospect that’s a little further along.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)