Tambellini willing to trade Oilers’ first overall pick

Apr 12, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT

Steve Tambellini AP

If Edmonton GM Steve Tambellini can improve his team, and improve it now, he’s willing to trade the Oilers’ first overall pick.

Which is to say, he’s willing to trade Nail Yakupov.

“We’ll be listening to other teams’ ideas,” Tambellini said, as reported by Postmedia. “I’m excited. I’ve been thinking about this for a lot of hours now. We have a wonderful opportunity where we’re accumulating some elite players and we can leave this draft with a significant piece or package.

“If I have an option to get a solid pick and someone to help the current club, I have to strongly look at that. You listen to comments from players post-season. I think Taylor Hall was saying, ‘Yeah, we’ve got these good young kids, but I want to win. I want to show we can win in this city now.’ That’s leadership.”

For all the young talent the Oilers boast up front, they’ve got gaping holes on the back end. And if the Oilers want to start winning now, they might not want to draft a defenseman and wait for him to develop if they can get an established top-four defender. Or, at least a prospect that’s a little further along.

Linus Omark wants out of Edmonton – just check Twitter

1. mehetmet - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Vanek+1st rounder+2nd rounder?

• rfcdubya - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Bad deal for both sides, vanek is an all start caliber players who had a rough year (trading him at the draft would yield less than at the trade deadline) not to mention you are trading him for an unproven commodity while giving up a first and second round pick. Edmonton has no need for more offensive talent they will ber looking for a top 4 defenseman and a top ten pick for a future top defenseman in addition to anything else they can squeeze out of a team.

2. icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Smart move. Drive up the asking price ala Rams and Redskins.

3. bcjim - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

To Wash: No 1. pick

To Edm: 11th + other 1st this year (pending). Plus next years 1st. So 3 firsts. Plus Jeff Shultz.

• nekelund - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Last time the Oilers traded for a bunch of first round draft picks (past and future) we got Robert Nilsson, Ryan O’Marra and Alex Plante from the Islanders for Ryan Smyth in 2007. While Plante has potential, O’Marra and Nilsson were busts and we lost badly on the deal.

Long story short, Edmonton needs established players, rather than speculative draft picks, even mid-/low-first round ones.

4. haterzgonahate - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Cory Schneider?

• thatsdoinit - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Sure hope that was meant to be sarcastic.

Yeah, let’s trade the first overall pick to the best team in our division for their backup goalie, who also happens to be a RFA at the end of the year.

Keep dreaming. And you probably wonder why people call Canucks fans “delusional”.

• haterzgonahate - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

first off.. Leafs fan 35 years and counting (cue the “so sorry” comments), secondly, my bad on the RFA status.. i guess i don’t read enough Canuck related articles,(probably because i’m sick of the haters crap on said articles) thought he had another year.. thirdly, i’m not a Canucks fan but i would like to see them win because there is no team in my opinion that deserves it more. and also becasue they don’t deserve the crap that people like you, who don’t waste any opportunity to trash, constantly spew on sites like this. i was merely making a comment from an Oilers perspective as they , again in my opinion, need a goaltender. Cory Schneider is going to be a great Goaltender in this league.. that he’s proven. first round draft picks are rarely proven.. i would overlook the possibilty of handing my division rival a great player if the return is a proven, possibly future hall of fame goaltender. but i guess that’s just me. it’s all a moot point now anyway, as you’ve so diligently pointed out. so carry on with the hatred keybaord warriror.. carry on

• thatsdoinit - Apr 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Well you’re right about a few things. Schneider is a great goalie. And I do hate the Canucks. I hate the Canuck fans more. I live in vancouver, and I have to hear about the team non-stop, mostly from idiotic bandwagoners.
        The fact that the Canucks have smashed my Oilers consistently over the past few years doesn’t help my hatred either. I have to hear smack talk from guys who can’t even name 4 defenseman on the team. I’m just tired of the fans cocky elitist attitude when there is no championships or hall of famers. Which is why I’ll always root against them, just so the fans won’t get a championship to celebrate. And after they way they acted like sore losers last year, they don’t deserve one.

I will, however, apologize for directing some of that hatred towards you. I just assumed you were a fan of the team considering how often you I see you defend them. A “Schneider for the first pick” comment is one I’ve heard all too often in the past few days in this city. The long and short of it is that it would be a foolish decision on the oilers part, and dealing with Canucks fans on a daily basis resulted in some misguided keyboard rage in your direction.

• nekelund - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM

The Oilers have Khabibulin for 2 more years and Dubnyk, meaning that while Schneider would certainly be an upgrade, I don’t think we have room for him. We would be better served to let Khabby play for one more year and then, if we can deal for Schneider or another talented young keeper, we can buy him out. Besides, I think that the Oilers believe that if they could shore up the back end with a franchise defenceman, Dubnyk could be a star in goal.

If a team wants Edmonton’s pick, it is going to have to offer a franchise/potential franchise D-man.

5. gbiscottagecheesefatties - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Man some of you have no clue what the real value of the 1st overall pick is worth!

EDM won’t fall anything past #5 and or #4 beause they can still get Murray at #4 (most likely) and the team they trade with has to be willing to give a top defenceman in the trade…. Maybe someone outside of the top 5 is willing to break the bank but I highly doubt it!

If I was EDM, I would keep the pick and bring in Defense wtih FA and by next year your D prospects will be NHL ready.

• davebabychreturns - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM

“We’ll be listening to other teams’ ideas,” Tambellini said.

Have any of the other teams suggested that Tambo try assembling a team capable of winning a few games?

• davebabychreturns - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Whoops, didn’t mean to reply to your post gbis.

I can’t think of the last time a top draft pick was traded (unless it was a pick that turned out to be a top pick like the Kessel deal, or a team dropping down a spot or two like the Leafs move up to grab Luke Schenn).

As a Canucks fan I do recall the deal to grab the second Sedin, in that one the Canucks dealt the next year’s 1st rounder and a 24 year old Bryan McCabe for what I believe was 4th overall.

So I’m guessing the Oil can expect one young established player and one high pick for their 1st, say (just pulling this out of my behind, since Burkie and Lowe hate each other) Luke Schenn and 5th overall?

• nekelund - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Luke Schenn has regressed greatly since his rookie season, suggesting that he greatly overperformed during his rookie year. The last thing Edmonton needs is to risk losing the 1st-round pick for a mediocre defenceman who could easily end up being the next Cam Barker (well, maybe not that bad, but still a bust).

6. thatsdoinit - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Tambellini shouldn’t be listening to anything.

Not because there aren’t any offers, but because Katz should fire his ass.

7. atwatercrushesokoye - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I’m just talking a shot in the dark here, and I’m sure this won’t be the full trade but I think Toronto ends up with the number 1 pick and I think Edmonton ends up with Dion Phaneuf.

• thatsdoinit - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Phaneuf is an over rated piece of garbage. Tambellini is stupid, but hopefully not that stupid.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Apr 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I’m a Flames fan so I 100% agree with your assessment on Phanuef, hoping you’re wrong about Tambellini’s intelligence though!

• nekelund - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Edmonton trading something very valuable in exchange for another team’s garbage? You are about 15 years too late; try looking up Glen Sather in New York.

Besides, what are the odds that Edmonton will do a big deal with Brian Burke, especially for an overrated defenceman?

8. canadian94 - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Tambo is an idiot if he trades the pick, why would you not want to draft such a highly touted prospect. There is nothing wrong with drafting D in the 2nd round and historically highly drafted D are touch and go…we already have Cam Barker

9. bcisleman - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Perhaps the perfect deal here would be for CBJ, which badly needs Yakupov to “replace” Rick Nash, to trade its #2 and one of its more ready defensive prospects like Moore or Nikitin. Then EDM can draft Murray, who is said to be NHL-ready and have two high level young defensemen to go along with their collection of star forwards.

Although I think this would be best for both teams, I must confess to an ulterior motive. I am hoping that Alex Galchenyuk slips to #4 so that the Isles can nab him. WIN-WIN-WIN.

• nekelund - Apr 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM

If Edmonton was going to make a deal, a #1-for-#2 swap with an NHL ready or nearly NHL ready defensive prospect would probably be the deal they would make. Maybe Nikitin, the #2 and a second-round pick for Paajarvi, the #1 and a later-round pick. I am merely speculating, but Yakupov looks solid so the Oilers are going to need something of clear value in return.

10. billsfan13594 - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Nash for Schneider, and they switch picks. Could be fine tuned to fit.

• bcisleman - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You ARE kidding, right? You’d have to put a lot more into the package than Schneider just to get Nash. Schneider, VAN’s first rounder and a prospect for Nash. Doubt CBJ or any of the top four will trade their top pick for a player. Even Burke said he wouldn’t.

11. ray2013 - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

So, from this post, are we to devine that Tambellini is going to be the GM of the Oilers next year? All I’ve heard on Oilers radio for the past few weeks is that neither Tambellini or Renney have contracts for next season. If Tambellini is not going to be the GM for the Oilers next year, why the heck would Oilers senior management let him dangle the #1 pick?

As Armchair GM, I would just keep the pick, draft Yakupov and make the next coach figure out how they were going to use all of the young talent they’ve got. It’s a nice problem to have. And free agent defence? You don’t think a free agent D would love playing with these talented kids? It’d be lots of fun.

12. leninthebuff - Apr 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Edmonton’s problems are on the blue line so how about taking that tall drink of water named Tyler Myers from Buffalo for the 1st pick…Ok since Marcy Darcy won’t trade Myers how about our 2 nbr 1’s which in value would equal the 1300 pts which is the value of the first overall pick or Buffalo can give Edmonton it’s 1st and 2nd and either Sekera or Weber.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches