Apr 12, 2012, 12:21 PM EST
Even though the Sabres missed the playoffs for the third time in the last five years, team president Ted Black is sticking by head coach Lindy Ruff and GM Darcy Regier.
“They’ll be back next season,” Black told the Buffalo News. “I didn’t see a need to do anything otherwise at this juncture. We spent the better part of this week planning next year.”
On one hand, retaining Ruff and Regier makes sense. They’re the NHL’s longest-tenured coach/GM duo and, over the last 16 seasons, have developed a solid working relationship.
On the other hand…
Several Buffalo players — Ryan Miller and Jason Pominville most notably — have called this season a “step back” for the organization after back-to-back opening round playoff losses. There were also the comments of Derek Roy, who didn’t take too kindly to Ruff blasting the team to the media after it was eliminated from the playoffs:
“To be pointing fingers now is obviously tough. Behind closed doors, I think it’s fine. You can be hard. It’s not fun, but it’s good to be hard on your players behind closed doors, on the bench to get them pumped up.
“I’m not a coach, but I don’t think it’s the right thing to be saying it to the media.”
That said, Black appears to be looking at things on a larger scale. He was impressed by Regier’s ability to acquire players both via free agency (see: Ehrhoff, Christian) and trades (see: Regehr, Robyn, who waived his no-trade). Black also liked what he saw down the stretch, when Ruff rallied the team from last in the Eastern Conference to within three points of the eighth and final playoff spot.
I think you can guess we like the trades and the free agent signings,” Black said of Regier. “I think the things that he has done have been pretty solid.”
As for Ruff?
“I didn’t hear any player suggest that they can’t work with the coach,” Black said.
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 7
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 34
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 49
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)