Apr 12, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Wednesday’s 4-2 loss to Los Angeles was a tale of two games for Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler.
The good? He absolutely stuffed the stat sheet: 23:08 of ice time, two assists, plus-1 rating, three hits, a shot on goal and 15-for-27 in the faceoff circle (56 percent).
The bad? Kesler often looked like he was up to his old antics. He was yapping, complaining, working officials for calls and embellishing to draw penalties…all of which were on display during this third-period sequence:
The reaction to Kesler’s antics drew plenty of vitriol on the Interweb:
Elliotte Friedman, CBC: “Would not be surprised if we see a different Kesler in Game 3. He’s not going to get a call if this continues.
Dave Stubbs, Montreal Gazette: “Kesler dive last night? Over-rotation, poor entry. #London2012″
John Beattie, Boston Globe: “It was Habs-esque embellishment by Ryan Kesler in the third period, tied 2-2, that would make even the softest soccer fan cringe.”
Kesler’s antics were kind of stunning, given he spent most of last season vowing to cut the extra-curricular stuff out of his game.
“You try to get other people off their game by talking and things like that, but for me, though, I wasn’t focusing on what I do best, and that’s be a solid, two-way player,” he said in Jan. 2011. “I’m focused more. From whistle to whistle, I play hard and let that other stuff go by the wayside.
“We, collectively and as a group, wanted to mature. I’m just doing my part.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic