Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Darren Helm‘s postseason is over.
That’s the report after Helm underwent surgery yesterday following his arm getting cut by Alexander Radulov‘s skate in Nashville’s 3-2 series-opening win over Detroit.
“Helm playoff run is over,” Kypreos tweeted. “It’s believed tendon damage that required surgery went well.”
Kypreos’ report confirms what the Detroit Free Press suggested yesterday:
Losing Helm for the series – and almost certainly for the duration of the playoffs – is a blow to the Wings’ third line, by domino effect their fourth line, and to the penalty kill. The Wings were also counting on Helm to be a big hitter especially against Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, helping to wear them down during the series.
Helm had only just come back to play in Game 1 after being out since March 17, when he suffered a sprained MCL.
“I feel bad for him,” Brad Stuart said. “He’s worked hard to get back. I don’t know what the severity of his injury is, but you’ve got to feel bad for the kid, he worked hard to get back and only lasted a couple of shifts. It’s going to be a big loss for us, but we’ve got somebody else to step up for us.”
Helm, 25, figured to be a key figure for Detroit this postseason. He’s played in 65 career playoff games and won a Cup with Detroit in his rookie year of 2007-08.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)