Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Darren Helm‘s postseason is over.
That’s the report after Helm underwent surgery yesterday following his arm getting cut by Alexander Radulov‘s skate in Nashville’s 3-2 series-opening win over Detroit.
“Helm playoff run is over,” Kypreos tweeted. “It’s believed tendon damage that required surgery went well.”
Kypreos’ report confirms what the Detroit Free Press suggested yesterday:
Losing Helm for the series – and almost certainly for the duration of the playoffs – is a blow to the Wings’ third line, by domino effect their fourth line, and to the penalty kill. The Wings were also counting on Helm to be a big hitter especially against Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, helping to wear them down during the series.
Helm had only just come back to play in Game 1 after being out since March 17, when he suffered a sprained MCL.
“I feel bad for him,” Brad Stuart said. “He’s worked hard to get back. I don’t know what the severity of his injury is, but you’ve got to feel bad for the kid, he worked hard to get back and only lasted a couple of shifts. It’s going to be a big loss for us, but we’ve got somebody else to step up for us.”
Helm, 25, figured to be a key figure for Detroit this postseason. He’s played in 65 career playoff games and won a Cup with Detroit in his rookie year of 2007-08.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)