Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Darren Helm‘s postseason is over.
That’s the report after Helm underwent surgery yesterday following his arm getting cut by Alexander Radulov‘s skate in Nashville’s 3-2 series-opening win over Detroit.
“Helm playoff run is over,” Kypreos tweeted. “It’s believed tendon damage that required surgery went well.”
Kypreos’ report confirms what the Detroit Free Press suggested yesterday:
Losing Helm for the series – and almost certainly for the duration of the playoffs – is a blow to the Wings’ third line, by domino effect their fourth line, and to the penalty kill. The Wings were also counting on Helm to be a big hitter especially against Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, helping to wear them down during the series.
Helm had only just come back to play in Game 1 after being out since March 17, when he suffered a sprained MCL.
“I feel bad for him,” Brad Stuart said. “He’s worked hard to get back. I don’t know what the severity of his injury is, but you’ve got to feel bad for the kid, he worked hard to get back and only lasted a couple of shifts. It’s going to be a big loss for us, but we’ve got somebody else to step up for us.”
Helm, 25, figured to be a key figure for Detroit this postseason. He’s played in 65 career playoff games and won a Cup with Detroit in his rookie year of 2007-08.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks