Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Darren Helm‘s postseason is over.
That’s the report after Helm underwent surgery yesterday following his arm getting cut by Alexander Radulov‘s skate in Nashville’s 3-2 series-opening win over Detroit.
“Helm playoff run is over,” Kypreos tweeted. “It’s believed tendon damage that required surgery went well.”
Kypreos’ report confirms what the Detroit Free Press suggested yesterday:
Losing Helm for the series – and almost certainly for the duration of the playoffs – is a blow to the Wings’ third line, by domino effect their fourth line, and to the penalty kill. The Wings were also counting on Helm to be a big hitter especially against Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, helping to wear them down during the series.
Helm had only just come back to play in Game 1 after being out since March 17, when he suffered a sprained MCL.
“I feel bad for him,” Brad Stuart said. “He’s worked hard to get back. I don’t know what the severity of his injury is, but you’ve got to feel bad for the kid, he worked hard to get back and only lasted a couple of shifts. It’s going to be a big loss for us, but we’ve got somebody else to step up for us.”
Helm, 25, figured to be a key figure for Detroit this postseason. He’s played in 65 career playoff games and won a Cup with Detroit in his rookie year of 2007-08.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)