Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, Darren Helm‘s postseason is over.
That’s the report after Helm underwent surgery yesterday following his arm getting cut by Alexander Radulov‘s skate in Nashville’s 3-2 series-opening win over Detroit.
“Helm playoff run is over,” Kypreos tweeted. “It’s believed tendon damage that required surgery went well.”
Kypreos’ report confirms what the Detroit Free Press suggested yesterday:
Losing Helm for the series – and almost certainly for the duration of the playoffs – is a blow to the Wings’ third line, by domino effect their fourth line, and to the penalty kill. The Wings were also counting on Helm to be a big hitter especially against Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, helping to wear them down during the series.
Helm had only just come back to play in Game 1 after being out since March 17, when he suffered a sprained MCL.
“I feel bad for him,” Brad Stuart said. “He’s worked hard to get back. I don’t know what the severity of his injury is, but you’ve got to feel bad for the kid, he worked hard to get back and only lasted a couple of shifts. It’s going to be a big loss for us, but we’ve got somebody else to step up for us.”
Helm, 25, figured to be a key figure for Detroit this postseason. He’s played in 65 career playoff games and won a Cup with Detroit in his rookie year of 2007-08.
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 0
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 4
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)