Apr 12, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
With all of today’s talk about non-suspensions and cheeky tweets, here’s an actual hockey story about Pittsburgh’s power play.
Via CSNPhilly.com comes news that the Penguins will be making some adjustments after going 0-3 with the man advantage in last night’s 4-3 OT loss to the Flyers.
For starters, Sidney Crosby thinks the Pens need to take more time with the puck once they gain the attacking zone.
“We tried to get shots, which is a good mentality to have,” said Pens captain Sidney Crosby. “We probably could have been a bit more patient on the setup. It wasn’t for lack of effort. We had some bad entries, too.”
It’s always a challenge to balance patience and urgency on the power play. A team can’t just shoot every time it gets set up – not the way today’s players blocks shots – but getting too cute can be just as problematic.
One wrinkle we might see tomorrow is forward Steve Sullivan quarterbacking from the point.
“He distributes the puck well,” said Crosby, as per NHL.com, “so he brings all of that to the power play. He’s pretty familiar with that area.”
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 5
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (57)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)