Apr 12, 2012, 2:38 PM EST
With all of today’s talk about non-suspensions and cheeky tweets, here’s an actual hockey story about Pittsburgh’s power play.
Via CSNPhilly.com comes news that the Penguins will be making some adjustments after going 0-3 with the man advantage in last night’s 4-3 OT loss to the Flyers.
For starters, Sidney Crosby thinks the Pens need to take more time with the puck once they gain the attacking zone.
“We tried to get shots, which is a good mentality to have,” said Pens captain Sidney Crosby. “We probably could have been a bit more patient on the setup. It wasn’t for lack of effort. We had some bad entries, too.”
It’s always a challenge to balance patience and urgency on the power play. A team can’t just shoot every time it gets set up – not the way today’s players blocks shots – but getting too cute can be just as problematic.
One wrinkle we might see tomorrow is forward Steve Sullivan quarterbacking from the point.
“He distributes the puck well,” said Crosby, as per NHL.com, “so he brings all of that to the power play. He’s pretty familiar with that area.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)