Apr 12, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Prior to yesterday, not many were familiar with the name Tony Sericolo.
Given what’s transpired today, Sericolo probably wishes that was still true.
The veteran NHL linesman — he’s called over 800 games — was called to the carpet on Thursday after NHL senior executive vice-president of hockey operations Colin Campbell admitted Sericolo erred in not whistling Daniel Briere’s first goal offside during Philadelphia’s Game 1 victory over Pittsburgh.
“There’s no other way to explain it but a missed call,” Campbell told The Canadian Press in an interview. “We’re as upset as Pittsburgh almost. It’s a mistake.
“It was a quick turnaround. You can see it was a quick 70-foot pass — the linesman was up with the play and then had to move quickly back and he saw it from the angle he saw it from.
“But still his job is to get the right call and he didn’t.”
Sericolo was one of just 40 officials to be chosen for postseason work from a pool of over 70. According to his NHL Officials page, this was his sixth playoff game.
Campbell’s comments made it unclear if Sericolo would get to work No. 7.
“There’s always fallout,” he said. “The referees and the linesmen are judged on the work they do as far as how they advance in doing games. If mistakes are made, no matter how difficult they are, there’s got to be decisions made on who advances.”
The decision for referee and linesman staffing decisions falls to Terry Gregson, the NHL’s director of officiating. A call placed to Gregson by the Canadian Press wasn’t returned.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)