Apr 12, 2012, 12:13 AM EDT
If you’re a Pittsburgh Penguins partisan, chances are you’re quite bummed out right now. The hated Philadelphia Flyers came back from a 3-0 deficit to win Game 1 by a 4-3 score in overtime, with villains such as Jaromir Jagr and Danny Briere heavily involved. If you need a really specific stat to hang your hat on, how about this one from Elias Sports Bureau via ESPN Stats & Info:
According to Elias, the Flyers are just the third NHL team to come back from a three-goal deficit in a road Game 1 since 1985. The other two teams lost their series.
So, cheer up Penguins fans. This isn’t Keith Primeau scoring in five bajillionth overtime revisited. If (very specific) history repeats itself, Pittsburgh will shake this off and advance to the second round.
Hey, it’s better than nothing, right? Right?
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)