Apr 12, 2012, 11:10 PM EST
Well, we didn’t have to wait long for our first double overtime game of the playoffs. The St. Louis Blues put a lot of pressure on Antti Niemi, but they couldn’t beat the San Jose Sharks in the first overtime period.
It’s worth noting that Niemi’s final start of the Sharks’ 2011 playoff run ended when Vancouver’s Kevin Bieksa scored at 10:18 of the second overtime period in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals. Obviously, tonight’s contest won’t have the same impact, but a win would be a nice way to put some extra distance between this series and that night.
Of course, Jaroslav Halak has done his fair share to keep this game knotted too. Halak made a name for himself during the Montreal Canadiens’ 2009 playoff run. He was also one of the NHL’s best goaltenders this season, and a long playoff run could help cement his place among the NHL’s top goaltenders in a lot of people’s minds.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)