Apr 12, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
Through 515 career games, former NHLer Andre Roy picked his fair share of fights — he racked up 1169 PIM and once fought 17 times in a single season.
Now, Roy is picking another kind of fight — but this time it’s on the Twitter machine.
The former Ottawa Senator and occasional RDS contributor decided to stir the pot on Wednesday by sending out this tweet to the masses:
Roy’s affinity for the Sens is understandable, as he spent tw0-and-a-half seasons in the Canadian capital, scoring his first goal and playing his first postseason game there.
But his issues with the Rangers are strange, especially given his ties to John Tortorella.
Torts used the “one-dimensional battleship” (term coined by Dean Lombardi) extensively throughout the Lightning’s 2004 Stanley Cup, playing Roy in 21 of 23 games, to which Roy responded by scoring his first and only playoff goal.
Of course, Torts and Roy didn’t always get along…
Don’t think it was long after that the throat slash gesture was run out of hockey.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)