Apr 12, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio caught up with Flyers owner Ed Snider moments after his team completed a stirring 4-3 comeback win in overtime against Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Heading down to the Flyers locker room following the Game 1 victory, Snider took a moment to share his thoughts on the game, which included this exchange:
The Flyers are now 6-1 lifetime against the Penguins in their new digs [CONSOL Energy Center]. There is no other modern arena in the NHL right now where Snider’s Flyers have enjoyed that kind of success — a .857 winning percentage — in its first two years of operation.
You wonder if Peter Laviolette’s club has gotten into the Penguins’ heads about playing them on their own ice.
“Oh yeah, exactly, it’s got to,” Snider said. “Holy cow!”
What’s remarkable about the Flyers’ success in Pittsburgh is the manner in which they’re achieving it.
On Dec. 29, they rallied from a 1-0 deficit to win 4-2. On Apr. 2, they fell behind 2-0, then scored four consecutive goals en route to a 6-4 victory. Last night, they fell behind 3-0 before completing one of the greatest playoff comebacks in franchise history.
Snider wasn’t the only Philadelphia native fired up about the Game 1 win. Check out the scene at XFinity Live! after Brayden Schenn tied it up in the third period…then after Jakub Voracek tucked home the game-winner:
/waits to get slaughtered by Penguins fans in the comments section
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 12
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 23
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 25
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 19
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 55
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6