Apr 12, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
In Sidney Crosby‘s first playoff series, the Pittsburgh Penguins squeaked into the playoffs before being dismantled by a dangerous Ottawa Senators team. While the parallels aren’t flawless, one couldn’t help but get a similar “fish out of water” feeling now that the Sens are the inexperienced eighth seed against an established No. 1 – in this case the New York Rangers. John Tortorella’s bunch handled Ottawa about as easily as one could expect in the playoffs, taking Game 1 by what some will call a misleadingly close score of 4-2.
Feel free to run with your own notions in the comments, but here are a few points to consider:
- Marian Gaborik had a beauty of a goal to put up the Rangers 2-0 at the time. Where does the Gaborik-Brad Richards-Carl Hagelin (Hagelin optional) line rank in your eyes? Top five in playoff trios? Better or worse?
- The Rangers are obviously happy to have a healthy Ryan Callahan in the postseason. Where does he rank among the be league’s best leaders?
- New York more or less cruised tonight, but it’s still just one game. Can Ottawa make a series of this?
- Speaking of which, what kind of adjustments would you make if your were Senators head coach Paul MacLean? Would you have any doubts about Craig Anderson‘s chances of overcoming some significant talent deficits?
- Should John Tortorella be concerned about overconfidence creeping in on a club that succeeded in large part by out-working opponents?
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights