Apr 12, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
In Sidney Crosby‘s first playoff series, the Pittsburgh Penguins squeaked into the playoffs before being dismantled by a dangerous Ottawa Senators team. While the parallels aren’t flawless, one couldn’t help but get a similar “fish out of water” feeling now that the Sens are the inexperienced eighth seed against an established No. 1 – in this case the New York Rangers. John Tortorella’s bunch handled Ottawa about as easily as one could expect in the playoffs, taking Game 1 by what some will call a misleadingly close score of 4-2.
Feel free to run with your own notions in the comments, but here are a few points to consider:
- Marian Gaborik had a beauty of a goal to put up the Rangers 2-0 at the time. Where does the Gaborik-Brad Richards–Carl Hagelin (Hagelin optional) line rank in your eyes? Top five in playoff trios? Better or worse?
- The Rangers are obviously happy to have a healthy Ryan Callahan in the postseason. Where does he rank among the be league’s best leaders?
- New York more or less cruised tonight, but it’s still just one game. Can Ottawa make a series of this?
- Speaking of which, what kind of adjustments would you make if your were Senators head coach Paul MacLean? Would you have any doubts about Craig Anderson‘s chances of overcoming some significant talent deficits?
- Should John Tortorella be concerned about overconfidence creeping in on a club that succeeded in large part by out-working opponents?
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)