Apr 12, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
In Sidney Crosby‘s first playoff series, the Pittsburgh Penguins squeaked into the playoffs before being dismantled by a dangerous Ottawa Senators team. While the parallels aren’t flawless, one couldn’t help but get a similar “fish out of water” feeling now that the Sens are the inexperienced eighth seed against an established No. 1 – in this case the New York Rangers. John Tortorella’s bunch handled Ottawa about as easily as one could expect in the playoffs, taking Game 1 by what some will call a misleadingly close score of 4-2.
Feel free to run with your own notions in the comments, but here are a few points to consider:
- Marian Gaborik had a beauty of a goal to put up the Rangers 2-0 at the time. Where does the Gaborik-Brad Richards-Carl Hagelin (Hagelin optional) line rank in your eyes? Top five in playoff trios? Better or worse?
- The Rangers are obviously happy to have a healthy Ryan Callahan in the postseason. Where does he rank among the be league’s best leaders?
- New York more or less cruised tonight, but it’s still just one game. Can Ottawa make a series of this?
- Speaking of which, what kind of adjustments would you make if your were Senators head coach Paul MacLean? Would you have any doubts about Craig Anderson‘s chances of overcoming some significant talent deficits?
- Should John Tortorella be concerned about overconfidence creeping in on a club that succeeded in large part by out-working opponents?
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 16
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)