Apr 12, 2012, 1:38 AM EDT
Eighth-seeded Los Angeles wrestled away home-ice advantage from the Presidents’ Trophy winners on Wednesday with a big 4-2 win in Vancouver. The oft-maligned Dustin Penner scored the winning tally with just over three minutes remaining in the contest, off a nice deflected kick pass from Jeff Carter.
Some discussion points:
— Early on, Ryan Kesler made a concerted effort to get in Jonathan Quick‘s kitchen. He jostled the Kings goalie on Alex Burrows‘ opening tally and received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for snow showering Quick after a save.
— Later on, Kesler made a concerted effort to try and draw a penalty, which infuriated the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox (among others.)
— The referees were active with their whistles. There were nine minor penalties called in the first 26 minutes (granted, two were for delay of game.) LA spent 16:03 of the first 40 minutes with the man advantage, and the game had 37 minutes of penalties all told.
— Byron Bitz was tossed midway through the second period after this nasty hit on Kyle Clifford:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bitz was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct while Clifford left the game (with what the club called an upper body injury) and did not return. Clifford looked woozy trying to skate off the ice.
— The Dustin Brown–Anze Kopitar–Justin Williams line was dominant for the Kings, combining for 1G-2A-3PTS, 16 shots on goal, four hits and three blocked shots. Not to be outdone, the ex-Flyers duo of Mike Richards and Carter combined for a goal and four assists.
As mentioned earlier, huge win for the Kings as they look for the upset.
Let us know your thoughts on the game in the comments section.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)