Discuss: Kings beat Canucks in penalty-filled affair

Apr 12, 2012, 1:38 AM EDT

Eighth-seeded Los Angeles wrestled away home-ice advantage from the Presidents’ Trophy winners on Wednesday with a big 4-2 win in Vancouver. The oft-maligned Dustin Penner scored the winning tally with just over three minutes remaining in the contest, off a nice deflected kick pass from Jeff Carter.

Some discussion points:

– Early on, Ryan Kesler made a concerted effort to get in Jonathan Quick‘s kitchen. He jostled the Kings goalie on Alex Burrows‘ opening tally and received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for snow showering Quick after a save.

– Later on, Kesler made a concerted effort to try and draw a penalty, which infuriated the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox (among others.)

– The referees were active with their whistles. There were nine minor penalties called in the first 26 minutes (granted, two were for delay of game.) LA spent 16:03 of the first 40 minutes with the man advantage, and the game had 37 minutes of penalties all told.

– Byron Bitz was tossed midway through the second period after this nasty hit on Kyle Clifford:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Bitz was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct while Clifford left the game (with what the club called an upper body injury) and did not return. Clifford looked woozy trying to skate off the ice.

– The Dustin Brown-Anze Kopitar-Justin Williams line was dominant for the Kings, combining for 1G-2A-3PTS, 16 shots on goal, four hits and three blocked shots. Not to be outdone, the ex-Flyers duo of Mike Richards and Carter combined for a goal and four assists.

As mentioned earlier, huge win for the Kings as they look for the upset.

Let us know your thoughts on the game in the comments section.

1. dolanster - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Suck it Canucks. Loved that check by Richards on Burrows at the end. This series is going to get nasty soon.

• elvispocomo - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I didn’t mind the hit by Richards, but I also didn’t mind the early hit by Kassian they called charging. I just wish the refs could make up their mind.

• dolanster - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM

One was face to face, one was face to the back of the head — that’s the difference.

• elvispocomo - Apr 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I think you’ve confused what hit I was talking about. Kassian’s wasn’t “face to the back of the head” – you must be thinking of Bitz’s hit?

2. sharksfan97 - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

As a Sharks fan living in Manhattan Beach it’s good to see the local boys dominate, that’s right, dominate Maxi Pad and his fellow Nucks.

• gcbean - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:40 AM

As a Kings fan I wouldn’t typically agree with a Sharks fan… Cheers!

3. ray2013 - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

To paraphrase Tom Renney, looks like the NHL wants Hollywood to be in the playoffs.

In all seriousness, I watched the game; Canucks looked flat and the Kings looked fired up. If they’re going to win a game they’re going to have to pick up the intensity a lot. I also think that they’re missing Daniel Sedin out there. Pretty tough to replace that kind of talent in the lineup.

4. blanchonegro - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Glad to see the Kings doing good. Puck any team from Canada.

5. hodog16 - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Luongo was one of the few Canucks to show up tonight.

If the Canucks continue to play like a team full of Ben Eagers this series won’t last very long. Almost like Vancouver wanted to show they can be aggressive but to a fault. I expect Game 2 to be a completely different story, at least I hope so.

6. taytay099 - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I don’t understand the unsportsmanlike penalty for the snow shower on the goalie. Since when did that become a rule? I saw that called once earlier this season (maybe a month ago?) and Mark Crawford was the only one on the TSN panel that didn’t like it.

Am I the only one that doesn’t like that penalty?

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yes, that’s always been a penalty. Read a rule book

• taytay099 - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Well my point is that it is almost never called. Snow showers happen in almost every game yet I’ve only seen that penalty called twice ever. That penalty seems a little out of place in a sport where body checking and fighting is allowed. It’s just like calling a penalty for your team being tossed out of the faceoff circle twice before the puck drops. I’ve only seen that called a few times ever.

If it has always been a rule then it should always be called. I just don’t see the harm in a little snow spraying.

7. finfan88shark - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:30 AM

The officials were really bad tonight. For the last 20 games penalties were seldom called. Now all the sudden everything is called for 1/2 the game. And them what was called in the first was no longer a penalty in the third. I am confused because as a 30+ year fan of the NHL i apparently don’t know what is and isn’t a penalty. The leagues officials are a joke of inconsistency.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

It seemed like an evenly called game to me. The Canucks even got away with a goalie interference that should have washed out their first goal.
      The officials are not going to catch everything on the ice, it’s impossible.

• hockeyfan68 - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I agree. I’ve been watching hockey for a many years & am always glad when the home team wins. However, I’ve noticed that when a Canadian team gets close to winning the cup, the officiating goes out the window. 7 power plays for the Kings so quickly! Even the announcers (who are completely biased when announcing) were saying “really?”

I hope the officials do a better job with the rest of the series.

8. finfan88shark - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM

As to the Clifford boarding. Clifford is a goon with little hockey ability he just got done to him what he usually does to others.

9. crusty14 - Apr 12, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I liked the unsportsmanlike call for snowing the goalie. It’s one thing if there was a race for the puck between a forward and a dman, and the goalie, and the forward snows the goalie, but Kessler came from far, far away, was involved in the play, then comes in and sprays Quick. It is exactly what unsportsmanlike is, and Kessler is a douche to boot. If they called this kind of crap on a regular basis, perhaps a lot of the after the whistle bs would stop.

10. crusty14 - Apr 12, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Sorry * was not involved in the play*

11. danohalloranisahatchetman - Apr 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Ohhh. So a snow shower is a playoff level penalty now. Sorry, but after seeing the cheap stuff that players (quite a few Hawks ans Bruins mostly) were getting away with in the playoffs last year you can’t blame me for being a little confused about this. So snow shower=bad. Punch to face=good. Ok got It now.

What kind of so-called pro sports league has rules that officials can decide on a whim they will or won’t be calling on any gIven night??? As far as I know no other sport period has rules that change on the fly like in NHL hockey. And most hockey fans (and 99.9% of sports “journalists”) are happy to eat it up and ask for more.

• drewsylvania - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Agreed. The rules have always been there. It’s the erractic enforcement that’s the problem.

12. kcprof926 - Apr 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Referees are ruining hockey. Flyers/Pens game was great because there were few penalties. The other two games were a joke. Let it be decided 5×5

13. homelanddefense - Apr 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Ha, typical Cannucks. Kelser getting unsportsmanlike penalties, and diving to get penalties. Then they try to be physical (Bitz) and cant even do that right.

14. blomfeld - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

“……………………………………………”

15. danohalloranisahatchetman - Apr 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Hah. Typical American halfwit. Enjoy being the generation that gets to experience your country circle the toilet
    bowl. Meanwhile you all argue over gay marriage and whether or not evolution is real.

• govtminion - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Yes, because that’s relevant to a hockey game.

• drewsylvania - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Now that’s the kind of class that gives Canadian hockey fans a bad name.

16. hartsy19 - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Love seein the West Coast Flyers take it to the nucks!

17. lordstanley65 - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Bite me, Dan. Coming from a frozen cesspool of a nearly third world country, your comment rings hollow.You just keep makin the sandwiches for us while we do the big boy work, ok? Jerkoff.

• drewsylvania - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Now that’s the kind of class that gives U.S. hockey fans a bad name.

• kitshky - Apr 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

O come on Drew doonnt make me agree with you twice in a row…

18. habsman - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM

It’s 99% of the time that Americans bring up the American/Canadian thing. And it’s usually bloggers on the left coast. For me, I love the United States and they’re definitely the second best nation in the world in my books. Well done!

19. kitshky - Apr 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Lou was awesome, Canucks powerplay was atrocious, Edler needs to lay off the pre-game hooch, Richards pass to Penner was siiicck …. and seriously guys keep the puck on the ice!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches