Apr 12, 2012, 11:26 PM EDT
Three of the first six 2012 playoff contests have gone past the third period, but this was the first that felt like the first true overtime battle. Antti Niemi deserves a lot of credit for keeping the Sharks in this game despite the fact that they were heavily out shot in the first overtime period. However, the man of the hour is Martin Havlat, who spent the better part of the season on the sidelines. He has been great since his return from a hamstring injury and has a five-game point streak dating back to the regular season. Havlat scored a double-OT goal to give the Sharks a 3-2 win against the Blues.
So what did you think of the game? Here’s a few points to keep in mind:
- San Jose Sharks got just three goals in four games against St. Louis during the regular season. They didn’t exactly overpower the Blues on Thursday, but they did prove they can beat their defense and goaltending.
- After a relatively quiet first period, things heated up. They drew four minor penalties each over the second and third periods and they traded power-play goals.
- St. Louis’ Patrik Berglund stepped up in this game after getting no points during the Blues’ brief playoff run back in 2009.
- Speaking of youngsters stepping up, Andrew Desjardins scored the goal that sent this game to overtime with just 5:16 remaining in the third period. He has five goals in 93 career regular season games, but two goals in four postseason contests. Could we have the making of a playoff hero?
- Antti Niemi’s final playoff game of the Sharks’ 2011 playoff run went to double overtime. So starting off his 2012 playoff campaign with a double overtime win seems somehow appropriate.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54