Apr 12, 2012, 11:26 PM EST
Three of the first six 2012 playoff contests have gone past the third period, but this was the first that felt like the first true overtime battle. Antti Niemi deserves a lot of credit for keeping the Sharks in this game despite the fact that they were heavily out shot in the first overtime period. However, the man of the hour is Martin Havlat, who spent the better part of the season on the sidelines. He has been great since his return from a hamstring injury and has a five-game point streak dating back to the regular season. Havlat scored a double-OT goal to give the Sharks a 3-2 win against the Blues.
So what did you think of the game? Here’s a few points to keep in mind:
- San Jose Sharks got just three goals in four games against St. Louis during the regular season. They didn’t exactly overpower the Blues on Thursday, but they did prove they can beat their defense and goaltending.
- After a relatively quiet first period, things heated up. They drew four minor penalties each over the second and third periods and they traded power-play goals.
- St. Louis’ Patrik Berglund stepped up in this game after getting no points during the Blues’ brief playoff run back in 2009.
- Speaking of youngsters stepping up, Andrew Desjardins scored the goal that sent this game to overtime with just 5:16 remaining in the third period. He has five goals in 93 career regular season games, but two goals in four postseason contests. Could we have the making of a playoff hero?
- Antti Niemi’s final playoff game of the Sharks’ 2011 playoff run went to double overtime. So starting off his 2012 playoff campaign with a double overtime win seems somehow appropriate.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)