Apr 12, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
For a second there, it seemed like Marcus Johansson would complete a rope-a-dope for the Washington Capitals, who largely rested on Braden Holtby‘s surprisingly strong night. Tim Thomas was ready to make the save, however, and then the Boston Bruins’ counter-punched to overtime victory after Chris Kelly completed a great bit of transition passing with a rare slap shot. Boston won 1-0 to win Game 1 in OT.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get the discussion started.
- Tonight provides another example of how different the Washington Capitals’ system has become. Are they correct to follow the pack in trying to play a more “conservative” style or will a 17-shot night convince them to attack more in future games?
- The Boston Bruins won, but it took them 30 shots to beat Braden Holtby once. We’ve seen relatively unknown goalies come in and give good teams problems before. Could Holtby be one of those guys?
- Sure, Zdeno Chara did a great job nullifying Alex Ovechkin, who only had one shot on goal but showed a lot of passion in delivering seven hits of his own. Is it a problem that Ovi only had 17:34 of ice time – even with Washington on the PK for long periods of time – though?
- Last year, the Bruins overcame a weak power play to win a Stanley Cup, so it’s not like the man advantage is a do-or-die factor. Still, is it worrisome that Boston failed on some pretty meaty opportunities? Or is just another example of Holtby’s great play in a small sample?
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 38
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 115
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)