Apr 12, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
For a second there, it seemed like Marcus Johansson would complete a rope-a-dope for the Washington Capitals, who largely rested on Braden Holtby‘s surprisingly strong night. Tim Thomas was ready to make the save, however, and then the Boston Bruins’ counter-punched to overtime victory after Chris Kelly completed a great bit of transition passing with a rare slap shot. Boston won 1-0 to win Game 1 in OT.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get the discussion started.
- Tonight provides another example of how different the Washington Capitals’ system has become. Are they correct to follow the pack in trying to play a more “conservative” style or will a 17-shot night convince them to attack more in future games?
- The Boston Bruins won, but it took them 30 shots to beat Braden Holtby once. We’ve seen relatively unknown goalies come in and give good teams problems before. Could Holtby be one of those guys?
- Sure, Zdeno Chara did a great job nullifying Alex Ovechkin, who only had one shot on goal but showed a lot of passion in delivering seven hits of his own. Is it a problem that Ovi only had 17:34 of ice time – even with Washington on the PK for long periods of time – though?
- Last year, the Bruins overcame a weak power play to win a Stanley Cup, so it’s not like the man advantage is a do-or-die factor. Still, is it worrisome that Boston failed on some pretty meaty opportunities? Or is just another example of Holtby’s great play in a small sample?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)