Apr 12, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
For a second there, it seemed like Marcus Johansson would complete a rope-a-dope for the Washington Capitals, who largely rested on Braden Holtby‘s surprisingly strong night. Tim Thomas was ready to make the save, however, and then the Boston Bruins’ counter-punched to overtime victory after Chris Kelly completed a great bit of transition passing with a rare slap shot. Boston won 1-0 to win Game 1 in OT.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get the discussion started.
- Tonight provides another example of how different the Washington Capitals’ system has become. Are they correct to follow the pack in trying to play a more “conservative” style or will a 17-shot night convince them to attack more in future games?
- The Boston Bruins won, but it took them 30 shots to beat Braden Holtby once. We’ve seen relatively unknown goalies come in and give good teams problems before. Could Holtby be one of those guys?
- Sure, Zdeno Chara did a great job nullifying Alex Ovechkin, who only had one shot on goal but showed a lot of passion in delivering seven hits of his own. Is it a problem that Ovi only had 17:34 of ice time – even with Washington on the PK for long periods of time – though?
- Last year, the Bruins overcame a weak power play to win a Stanley Cup, so it’s not like the man advantage is a do-or-die factor. Still, is it worrisome that Boston failed on some pretty meaty opportunities? Or is just another example of Holtby’s great play in a small sample?
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 22
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 42
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 65
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 46
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)