Apr 12, 2012, 11:44 PM EDT
Two years ago, the Washington Capitals massively out-shot the Montreal Canadiens but ultimately lost a close series in seven games. By the end, Caps fans must have been cursing the name “Jaroslav Halak,” but after Game 1 against the Boston Bruins, the team might have their closest answer to him in Braden Holtby.
Sure, it’s not a perfect analogy. Halak was fighting with Carey Price for 1a/1b status in Montreal while Holtby’s only played sparingly at the NHL level.
Still, there’s enough for it to make for an interesting potential narrative. Holtby stopped 29 out of 30 shots, which is impressive enough. But much like Halak, Holtby radiated an unmistakable swagger. Tim Thomas collected another shutout in Boston’s 1-0 OT win, but Holtby often stole the show.
Maybe he didn’t seem impenetrable, but there was an eerie, implacable confidence to the way the young netminder was operating. It wasn’t enough to win, obviously, but much like with Halak, the Capitals seemed content to “turtle” in their own zone and hope for the occasional counter-punching opportunity because the Bruins couldn’t solve Holtby.
Honestly, I’m not convinced that is the right strategy for the Capitals to go with, even if they’re playing the role of underdogs. (If you ask me, nine out of 10 hockey underdogs score upset based on less-than-thrilling methods.)
That being said, if Holtby’s Game 1 is a sign of things to come rather than just an intriguing mirage of goaltending, the Bruins might be in for a frustrating series and Washington could have some sincere upset potential.
Here’s a look at what Holtby and Thomas did in Game 1:
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)