Apr 12, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
Well, it didn’t take long for Brendan Shanahan to feel the wrath of Steve Rosenbloom, the Chicago Tribune’s renowned outrage enthusiast.
Weber’s act was exactly the kind of hit that the league has punished significantly this year and last. The league zealously protected its players’ heads, and it was lauded for such vigilance.
Duncan Keith just got five games for a WWE-like flying elbow on Daniel Sedin. Weber’s actions were as blatant as Keith’s, intended to do as much damage, and every bit motivated by revenge, which makes it exponentially indefensible.
This, then, figured to be bad for Weber and the Predators. This, then figured to be major.
But Brendan Shanahan choked.
If there’s no suspension for something as blatant and contrary to league dictates as Weber’s act, then there can be no suspension for anyone the rest of the playoffs.
Given the reaction from numerous members of the media on Twitter, we can probably expect a few more columns like this one.
Though maybe with a little less hyperbole.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)