Apr 12, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
For a 39-year-old forward with plenty of notches on his belt like Mike Knuble, a playoff healthy scratch is probably a pretty sobering reality. That happens to be the case tonight as Stephen Whyno reports that the Washington Capitals are rolling with feisty winger Jay Beagle instead of Knuble.
Knuble has generated some of his career’s best work scoring the kind of “dirty” goals that are especially valuable in the playoffs. He had two tallies in six games last year and six points in the Capitals’ seven-game series against the Montreal Canadiens in 2010.
Unfortunately for the pending free agent, he’s fallen on hard times this season, which is spotlighted in pretty convincing fashion by his absence in Game 1.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 103
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 49
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63