Apr 12, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will need to hire a new head coach by the start of next season.
By “mutual agreement,” Brent Sutter and the club have parted ways.
“Brent Sutter and I met and discussed a number of issues regarding the hockey team and the future,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster in a release. “Brent and I explored many options and ultimately determined that it is best to proceed in different directions. Brent is a great person and an excellent hockey coach. On behalf of the Calgary Flames, we sincerely appreciate his hard work, dedication and commitment to our organization, and we wish him every success.”
Sutter was hired on June 23, 2009, and failed to lead the Flames to the playoffs in the three seasons he was behind the bench.
The contract of assistant coach Dave Lowry won’t be renewed either.
As for Sutter’s future in the NHL, his brother Darryl offered this opinion: “If he wants to coach in the NHL, he’ll coach in the NHL. Simple as that.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 8
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional