Apr 12, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will need to hire a new head coach by the start of next season.
By “mutual agreement,” Brent Sutter and the club have parted ways.
“Brent Sutter and I met and discussed a number of issues regarding the hockey team and the future,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster in a release. “Brent and I explored many options and ultimately determined that it is best to proceed in different directions. Brent is a great person and an excellent hockey coach. On behalf of the Calgary Flames, we sincerely appreciate his hard work, dedication and commitment to our organization, and we wish him every success.”
Sutter was hired on June 23, 2009, and failed to lead the Flames to the playoffs in the three seasons he was behind the bench.
The contract of assistant coach Dave Lowry won’t be renewed either.
As for Sutter’s future in the NHL, his brother Darryl offered this opinion: “If he wants to coach in the NHL, he’ll coach in the NHL. Simple as that.”
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)