Apr 12, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will need to hire a new head coach by the start of next season.
By “mutual agreement,” Brent Sutter and the club have parted ways.
“Brent Sutter and I met and discussed a number of issues regarding the hockey team and the future,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster in a release. “Brent and I explored many options and ultimately determined that it is best to proceed in different directions. Brent is a great person and an excellent hockey coach. On behalf of the Calgary Flames, we sincerely appreciate his hard work, dedication and commitment to our organization, and we wish him every success.”
Sutter was hired on June 23, 2009, and failed to lead the Flames to the playoffs in the three seasons he was behind the bench.
The contract of assistant coach Dave Lowry won’t be renewed either.
As for Sutter’s future in the NHL, his brother Darryl offered this opinion: “If he wants to coach in the NHL, he’ll coach in the NHL. Simple as that.”
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)