Apr 12, 2012, 5:07 PM EST
The Calgary Flames will need to hire a new head coach by the start of next season.
By “mutual agreement,” Brent Sutter and the club have parted ways.
“Brent Sutter and I met and discussed a number of issues regarding the hockey team and the future,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster in a release. “Brent and I explored many options and ultimately determined that it is best to proceed in different directions. Brent is a great person and an excellent hockey coach. On behalf of the Calgary Flames, we sincerely appreciate his hard work, dedication and commitment to our organization, and we wish him every success.”
Sutter was hired on June 23, 2009, and failed to lead the Flames to the playoffs in the three seasons he was behind the bench.
The contract of assistant coach Dave Lowry won’t be renewed either.
As for Sutter’s future in the NHL, his brother Darryl offered this opinion: “If he wants to coach in the NHL, he’ll coach in the NHL. Simple as that.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 0
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 31
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)