Apr 12, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
One of the most controversial moments of the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs was when Canucks forward Raffi Torres caught Chicago’s Brent Seabrook with this devastating bodycheck in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal:
The hit made waves throughout the NHL on a variety of fronts.
First, the sheer impact of the collision.
Second, the way discipline was handled — Torres received a two-minute interference penalty on the play but no suspension from then-NHL discipline czar Colin Campbell, who deemed it a legal check.
Three, the aftermath. Seabrook left the game momentarily, returned, but was then held out of the next two games with an “upper-body” injury. Seabrook returned to the Chicago lineup for Game 6, drawing the ire of former NHLer Keith Primeau, who questioned the Blackhawks’ concussion protocol.
Now — in a weird twist of fate — Seabrook and Torres are on course to meet up again in the first round of the playoffs as the Blackhawks and Coyotes (Torres’ new team) prepare for Game 1 tonight in Phoenix.
Prior to the game, neither party seemed keen on discussing the feud.
“It’s over,” Seabrook told CSN Chicago. “It was a year ago, and there’s nothing to talk about.”
Torres wasn’t biting at reporter’s queries either. He called the hit “just a hockey play” and didn’t offer much beyond that.
It’ll be interesting to see if the two reunite in a similar fashion. Seabrook has been a magnet for gigantic hits throughout his career (see here and here and here) and Torres hasn’t taken any edge off his notoriously physical play. He was suspended two games this year for charging Minnesota’s Nate Prosser and also fined $2,500 for elbowing Colorado’s Jan Hejda.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)