Apr 11, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT
It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock named Jaroslav Halak as his starter for Game 1 of their playoff series against San Jose.
It’s no surprise as the other contender to start, Brian Elliott, is hurting with an upper body injury. While the injury has kept Elliott out of practices, Hitchcock says Elliott is well enough that if he called on him to start he’d be able to. Gamesmanship or not, Halak getting the nod isn’t a stunner.
If Halak can pull off the same theatrics he did in 2010 with Montreal, the Blues are in great hands in the playoffs. Should he struggle a bit though, the pressure shifts to Elliott and his shutout-having ways to create his own playoff legacy and avoid being upended by the Sharks.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6