Apr 11, 2012, 2:09 PM EST
It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock named Jaroslav Halak as his starter for Game 1 of their playoff series against San Jose.
It’s no surprise as the other contender to start, Brian Elliott, is hurting with an upper body injury. While the injury has kept Elliott out of practices, Hitchcock says Elliott is well enough that if he called on him to start he’d be able to. Gamesmanship or not, Halak getting the nod isn’t a stunner.
If Halak can pull off the same theatrics he did in 2010 with Montreal, the Blues are in great hands in the playoffs. Should he struggle a bit though, the pressure shifts to Elliott and his shutout-having ways to create his own playoff legacy and avoid being upended by the Sharks.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)