Apr 11, 2012, 2:09 PM EST
It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock named Jaroslav Halak as his starter for Game 1 of their playoff series against San Jose.
It’s no surprise as the other contender to start, Brian Elliott, is hurting with an upper body injury. While the injury has kept Elliott out of practices, Hitchcock says Elliott is well enough that if he called on him to start he’d be able to. Gamesmanship or not, Halak getting the nod isn’t a stunner.
If Halak can pull off the same theatrics he did in 2010 with Montreal, the Blues are in great hands in the playoffs. Should he struggle a bit though, the pressure shifts to Elliott and his shutout-having ways to create his own playoff legacy and avoid being upended by the Sharks.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 28
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)