Apr 11, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT
It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock named Jaroslav Halak as his starter for Game 1 of their playoff series against San Jose.
It’s no surprise as the other contender to start, Brian Elliott, is hurting with an upper body injury. While the injury has kept Elliott out of practices, Hitchcock says Elliott is well enough that if he called on him to start he’d be able to. Gamesmanship or not, Halak getting the nod isn’t a stunner.
If Halak can pull off the same theatrics he did in 2010 with Montreal, the Blues are in great hands in the playoffs. Should he struggle a bit though, the pressure shifts to Elliott and his shutout-having ways to create his own playoff legacy and avoid being upended by the Sharks.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)