Apr 11, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
The last time Sidney Crosby set foot on the ice in the Stanley Cup playoffs, the Penguins were beaten in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals by Montreal. That was the final game played at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh and for Crosby, it was the last time he appeared on hockey’s grandest stage.
With the Penguins dropping the puck tonight against the Philadelphia Flyers at CONSOL Energy Center for Game 1 of their first round series, Crosby tells Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review he can’t wait to get back at it again.
“I crave that atmosphere,” Crosby said. “The playoffs are why you play this game.”
Of course, the Penguins were in the playoffs last season without their captain, losing in seven games to the Tampa Bay Lightning, getting stonewalled by Dwayne Roloson. The Lightning made for an ironic opponent given that it was Tampa defenseman Victor Hedman who knocked Crosby out for the season.
Crosby tells Yohe that he wants all the highs and lows that come with competing in the postseason.
“It was so tough not being out there last year,” he said. “When you`re winning, you want to share it with the team. When you`re losing, you want to feel the same things the team is going through. There is nothing like being out there.”
Being out there against the cross-state rival Flyers should help set the stage for an incredible series that has most fans tickled to see the hate pour out on the ice and translate into great hockey. With Crosby this fired up for the postseason, having one of the league’s best playing at his best should make this series one to remember.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 0
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 9
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 33
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)