Apr 11, 2012, 1:56 PM EST
Phoenix Business Journal is reporting that three ownership groups are in the running to buy the Coyotes, at least two of them with the intention of keeping the club in Glendale.
Former San Jose Sharks executive CEO Greg Jamison is one of the three groups.
Another is Canadian businessman Jim Treliving, whose son, Brad, is the assistant general manager of the Coyotes. (Update: Treliving says he doesn’t have plans to buy the Coyotes.)
The third group is a mystery. According to the Business Journal, it’s “come late to the Coyotes table with a cash offer to buy the team. Details of what that offer might entail, who is involved with that group and what kind of commitment to the Phoenix market is involved are not yet available.”
Jamison’s bid is interesting in that it reportedly could involve the purchase of city-owned Jobing.com Arena as well as the adjacent Westgate City Center, which went into foreclosure in 2011. Perhaps owning the hockey team, arena and the retail around the rink could make financial sense, assuming there’s a good deal to be had on the arena and the mall. And considering Glendale’s budget predicament and the fact the mall has been taken over by lenders, maybe there could be.
It should be noted, however, that the lender-turned-owner says it plans to hold the property for the long-term.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)