Apr 11, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
Phoenix Business Journal is reporting that three ownership groups are in the running to buy the Coyotes, at least two of them with the intention of keeping the club in Glendale.
Former San Jose Sharks executive CEO Greg Jamison is one of the three groups.
Another is Canadian businessman Jim Treliving, whose son, Brad, is the assistant general manager of the Coyotes. (Update: Treliving says he doesn’t have plans to buy the Coyotes.)
The third group is a mystery. According to the Business Journal, it’s “come late to the Coyotes table with a cash offer to buy the team. Details of what that offer might entail, who is involved with that group and what kind of commitment to the Phoenix market is involved are not yet available.”
Jamison’s bid is interesting in that it reportedly could involve the purchase of city-owned Jobing.com Arena as well as the adjacent Westgate City Center, which went into foreclosure in 2011. Perhaps owning the hockey team, arena and the retail around the rink could make financial sense, assuming there’s a good deal to be had on the arena and the mall. And considering Glendale’s budget predicament and the fact the mall has been taken over by lenders, maybe there could be.
It should be noted, however, that the lender-turned-owner says it plans to hold the property for the long-term.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)