Apr 11, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
Phoenix Business Journal is reporting that three ownership groups are in the running to buy the Coyotes, at least two of them with the intention of keeping the club in Glendale.
Former San Jose Sharks executive CEO Greg Jamison is one of the three groups.
Another is Canadian businessman Jim Treliving, whose son, Brad, is the assistant general manager of the Coyotes. (Update: Treliving says he doesn’t have plans to buy the Coyotes.)
The third group is a mystery. According to the Business Journal, it’s “come late to the Coyotes table with a cash offer to buy the team. Details of what that offer might entail, who is involved with that group and what kind of commitment to the Phoenix market is involved are not yet available.”
Jamison’s bid is interesting in that it reportedly could involve the purchase of city-owned Jobing.com Arena as well as the adjacent Westgate City Center, which went into foreclosure in 2011. Perhaps owning the hockey team, arena and the retail around the rink could make financial sense, assuming there’s a good deal to be had on the arena and the mall. And considering Glendale’s budget predicament and the fact the mall has been taken over by lenders, maybe there could be.
It should be noted, however, that the lender-turned-owner says it plans to hold the property for the long-term.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)