Apr 11, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators play in a market where hockey might seem foreign, but they might just have the cleverness and energy to make up for a lack of “tradition.” Speaking of traditions, much like Phoenix Coyotes fans did with “#throwthesnake,” Predators fans have reacted to the Detroit Red Wings’ octopus-throwing fans by tossing … catfish.
At least one Predators fan chucked the popular Southern seafood staple onto the ice after a Paul Gaustad goal, which opened up the scoring in tonight’s Red Wings-Predators game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
(Note: I haven’t come across photos of the phenomenon just yet, so feel free to share some in the comments if you happen upon any.)
As #throwthecatfish may or may not pick up social media steam on Twitter, I must ask: is throw the catfish superior to the throw the snake? On one hand, catfish is a more readily edible food* and can be fished out of a body of water, which makes it more closely aligned to the original octopus. On the other hand, throw the snake came first, so it deserves points for being a predecessor of sorts (plus it’s usually of a rubber variety, which is easier on the ice and whoever has to clean it up).
Final thought: is this a sign that we’ll see some plastic rats fly in Florida again? One can only hope.
* – I don’t want to estrange any snake-eating readers.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)