Apr 11, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators play in a market where hockey might seem foreign, but they might just have the cleverness and energy to make up for a lack of “tradition.” Speaking of traditions, much like Phoenix Coyotes fans did with “#throwthesnake,” Predators fans have reacted to the Detroit Red Wings’ octopus-throwing fans by tossing … catfish.
At least one Predators fan chucked the popular Southern seafood staple onto the ice after a Paul Gaustad goal, which opened up the scoring in tonight’s Red Wings-Predators game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
(Note: I haven’t come across photos of the phenomenon just yet, so feel free to share some in the comments if you happen upon any.)
As #throwthecatfish may or may not pick up social media steam on Twitter, I must ask: is throw the catfish superior to the throw the snake? On one hand, catfish is a more readily edible food* and can be fished out of a body of water, which makes it more closely aligned to the original octopus. On the other hand, throw the snake came first, so it deserves points for being a predecessor of sorts (plus it’s usually of a rubber variety, which is easier on the ice and whoever has to clean it up).
Final thought: is this a sign that we’ll see some plastic rats fly in Florida again? One can only hope.
* – I don’t want to estrange any snake-eating readers.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (149)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)