Apr 11, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
The Nashville Predators play in a market where hockey might seem foreign, but they might just have the cleverness and energy to make up for a lack of “tradition.” Speaking of traditions, much like Phoenix Coyotes fans did with “#throwthesnake,” Predators fans have reacted to the Detroit Red Wings’ octopus-throwing fans by tossing … catfish.
At least one Predators fan chucked the popular Southern seafood staple onto the ice after a Paul Gaustad goal, which opened up the scoring in tonight’s Red Wings-Predators game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
(Note: I haven’t come across photos of the phenomenon just yet, so feel free to share some in the comments if you happen upon any.)
As #throwthecatfish may or may not pick up social media steam on Twitter, I must ask: is throw the catfish superior to the throw the snake? On one hand, catfish is a more readily edible food* and can be fished out of a body of water, which makes it more closely aligned to the original octopus. On the other hand, throw the snake came first, so it deserves points for being a predecessor of sorts (plus it’s usually of a rubber variety, which is easier on the ice and whoever has to clean it up).
Final thought: is this a sign that we’ll see some plastic rats fly in Florida again? One can only hope.
* – I don’t want to estrange any snake-eating readers.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 8
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 29
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 23
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 30
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)