Apr 11, 2012, 10:51 AM EST
The news was already grim for Bruins forward Nathan Horton when it came to whether or not he’d play in the postseason as early inclinations said he’d be a “long shot” to find his way into any games.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli ended all the speculation and announced Horton will not play at all during the 2012 playoffs. Horton has been out since late January with a concussion suffered against the Flyers when Tom Sestito caught him in the head with a hit. Sestito was not punished for the play.
Horton’s concussion history has been high-profile in Boston as the hit he suffered at the hands of Vancouver’s Aaron Rome during Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals knocked him out for the rest of the series. After seeing Horton return to action at the start of this season, many wondered if Horton was fully recovered as the hit from Rome was a crushing blow.
The Bruins have been doing well without Horton of late but keeping that going through the postseason and trying to repeat as Cup champions is going to be a lot harder to do without him as Horton was one of Boston’s more clutch performers last season.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)