Apr 11, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
The news was already grim for Bruins forward Nathan Horton when it came to whether or not he’d play in the postseason as early inclinations said he’d be a “long shot” to find his way into any games.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli ended all the speculation and announced Horton will not play at all during the 2012 playoffs. Horton has been out since late January with a concussion suffered against the Flyers when Tom Sestito caught him in the head with a hit. Sestito was not punished for the play.
Horton’s concussion history has been high-profile in Boston as the hit he suffered at the hands of Vancouver’s Aaron Rome during Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals knocked him out for the rest of the series. After seeing Horton return to action at the start of this season, many wondered if Horton was fully recovered as the hit from Rome was a crushing blow.
The Bruins have been doing well without Horton of late but keeping that going through the postseason and trying to repeat as Cup champions is going to be a lot harder to do without him as Horton was one of Boston’s more clutch performers last season.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)