Apr 11, 2012, 8:43 AM EDT
If you were thinking that the St. Louis Blues goaltending picture was going to be cleared up thanks to an upper-body injury to Brian Elliott, think again.
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock tells Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that their recall of Jake Allen was just for practice purposes and Elliott would be ready to go.
“We didn’t want to aggravate it,” Hitchcock said. “We’ve been nursing it for a week or so. … It’s more maintenance. It’s not a big deal. … He’s fine to play, so that’s not an issue. He’s nursing something that’s going to take a day or two to be 100 percent.”
Hitchcock also says if the Blues were playing Wednesday and he wanted Elliott to be the starter, he could do it. That just takes us back to square one as to who the Blues will start in goal, an announcement Hitchcock said he would wait until Thursday to make.
Whether he goes with Elliott or Jaroslav Halak, Hitchcock has a wealth of riches to deal with. Elliott has had a tremendous season while Halak’s season has been just as strong and he has the playoff pedigree. It’s not as if he’ll be picking one guy and being forced to stick with him. Should one guy start and not work out, there’s an equally capable goalie waiting in the wings. Nice problem to have.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)