Apr 11, 2012, 10:19 AM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk hasn’t had many opportunities in the past when it comes to the playoffs. Like all other players, his ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup and with the Devils he’s got a genuine shot to do that this season.
As Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice found out, you’d better not ask Kovalchuk his thoughts about winning the Cup and what it would mean to him.
“Let’s not talk about that right now,” he said. “We just want to make a little step forward at a time. We want to do well in the first round first.”
Doing well in the first round is something a lot of people are counting on them to do. Sure the Devils are the sixth seed in the East, but they’ve got a better record than the third seeded Florida Panthers and are the chic pick for a first round upset.
Kovalchuk has seen the playoffs just twice in his career – once with Atlanta in 2006-07 and in his first half-season with New Jersey in 2009-10. In nine career playoff game, Kovalchuk has eight points and just three of those are goals. For the Devils to have true Stanley Cup aspirations, he’ll need to do better than that and with Zach Parise and Patrik Elias riding shotgun with him, there’s no reason to think he won’t do well.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)