Apr 11, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
There was the possibility that the Flyers could be going without a pair of key players in tonight’s Game 1 against Pittsburgh, but that won’t be the case because hockey players are tougher than you are.
Forward Danny Briere and defenseman Niklas Grossmann will both suit up for the Flyers tonight the team announced after this morning’s skate. Briere is a key offensive player for the Flyers while Grossmann is a needed presence on defense to try and slow down the likes of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and James Neal.
The team will be hoping Briere’s contributions can be big as he’s had a rough go of it all season long thanks to nagging injuries. Grossmann, meanwhile, will give the Flyers a bit more of a defensive edge along the blue line.
One move that’s less surprising is Ilya Brygalov getting the start in goal for Philly. Bryzgalov missed the last few games of the season thanks to a chip fracture in his foot and some thought Sergei Bobrovsky might get the call in Game 1. After seeing the Penguins score easily on Bobrovsky in the season finale, Bryzgalov getting the call is no shock. While Bryzgalov didn’t participate in this morning’s skate, he said he was just resting for tonight.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28