Apr 11, 2012, 10:17 PM EDT
Anyone who hoped that the controversy regarding Danny Briere‘s offside goal would go away probably has a headache at the moment. Don’t fault Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers fans if they’re pacing around endlessly while fans of the sport of a whole must feel delighted as Philly came back from a 3-0 deficit to bring Game 1 to a 3-3 overtime showdown.
So for those of you counting at home, that means that we’re one-for-one when it comes to postseason contests going into “extra innings.”
Pittsburgh scored all three of its goals in a rousing opening period. Briere followed up his much-disputed first tally with a second one to give him 98 points in 98 playoff games while Scott Hartnell‘s clever pass opened up an opportunity for Brayden Schenn to score his first career postseason tally on the PP.
One might call this result unexpected, but considering the anticipation going into this game, it only makes sense that this intriguing fourth vs. fifth seed matchup needs more than 60 minutes to be decided.
Considering the history of overtime games in the Penguins-Flyers rivalry, it might take a lot more than 60 minutes. Enjoy it all on NBC Sports Network tonight.
(And feel free to tab the overtime winner in the comments if you’re in the mood.)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (145)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)