Apr 11, 2012, 10:17 PM EST
Anyone who hoped that the controversy regarding Danny Briere‘s offside goal would go away probably has a headache at the moment. Don’t fault Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers fans if they’re pacing around endlessly while fans of the sport of a whole must feel delighted as Philly came back from a 3-0 deficit to bring Game 1 to a 3-3 overtime showdown.
So for those of you counting at home, that means that we’re one-for-one when it comes to postseason contests going into “extra innings.”
Pittsburgh scored all three of its goals in a rousing opening period. Briere followed up his much-disputed first tally with a second one to give him 98 points in 98 playoff games while Scott Hartnell‘s clever pass opened up an opportunity for Brayden Schenn to score his first career postseason tally on the PP.
One might call this result unexpected, but considering the anticipation going into this game, it only makes sense that this intriguing fourth vs. fifth seed matchup needs more than 60 minutes to be decided.
Considering the history of overtime games in the Penguins-Flyers rivalry, it might take a lot more than 60 minutes. Enjoy it all on NBC Sports Network tonight.
(And feel free to tab the overtime winner in the comments if you’re in the mood.)
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)