Apr 11, 2012, 10:35 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers looked left for dead when the Pittsburgh Penguins opened up Game 1 with a 3-0 lead, but Peter Laviolette’s bunch is pretty comfortable bucking conventional wisdom. Danny Briere scored two goals – including one obviously divisive one – to make it a game. The Flyers’ young guns then came through as Brayden Schenn tied it up and Jakub “Baby Jagr” Voracek won it 4-3 about two and a half minutes into overtime.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are a few things to chew on, then:
- The Flyers showed that they can roll with the punches. How will the Penguins react in Game 2?
- Speaking of reactions, did Dan Bylsma take his foot off the gas pedal or did Philly just overwhelm Pittsburgh with crafty play?
- Sidney Crosby scored a goal and an assist but Evgeni Malkin was held without a point. Will Geno start to feel some heat if he has a quiet Game 2?
- Should the Penguins make stopping Danny Briere a bigger priority than shutting down Claude Giroux? Or is it flat-out pointless to micromanage too much against a team as explosive as the Flyers?
- Ilya Bryzgalov was able to shake off a tough start, but is he the right “guy” for Philly?
- How long will it take you to get tired of that Briere offside goal? Are you already sick of it?
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)