Apr 11, 2012, 10:35 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers looked left for dead when the Pittsburgh Penguins opened up Game 1 with a 3-0 lead, but Peter Laviolette’s bunch is pretty comfortable bucking conventional wisdom. Danny Briere scored two goals – including one obviously divisive one – to make it a game. The Flyers’ young guns then came through as Brayden Schenn tied it up and Jakub “Baby Jagr” Voracek won it 4-3 about two and a half minutes into overtime.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are a few things to chew on, then:
- The Flyers showed that they can roll with the punches. How will the Penguins react in Game 2?
- Speaking of reactions, did Dan Bylsma take his foot off the gas pedal or did Philly just overwhelm Pittsburgh with crafty play?
- Sidney Crosby scored a goal and an assist but Evgeni Malkin was held without a point. Will Geno start to feel some heat if he has a quiet Game 2?
- Should the Penguins make stopping Danny Briere a bigger priority than shutting down Claude Giroux? Or is it flat-out pointless to micromanage too much against a team as explosive as the Flyers?
- Ilya Bryzgalov was able to shake off a tough start, but is he the right “guy” for Philly?
- How long will it take you to get tired of that Briere offside goal? Are you already sick of it?
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 6
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 5
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 33
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 46
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (46)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)