Apr 11, 2012, 10:35 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers looked left for dead when the Pittsburgh Penguins opened up Game 1 with a 3-0 lead, but Peter Laviolette’s bunch is pretty comfortable bucking conventional wisdom. Danny Briere scored two goals – including one obviously divisive one – to make it a game. The Flyers’ young guns then came through as Brayden Schenn tied it up and Jakub “Baby Jagr” Voracek won it 4-3 about two and a half minutes into overtime.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are a few things to chew on, then:
- The Flyers showed that they can roll with the punches. How will the Penguins react in Game 2?
- Speaking of reactions, did Dan Bylsma take his foot off the gas pedal or did Philly just overwhelm Pittsburgh with crafty play?
- Sidney Crosby scored a goal and an assist but Evgeni Malkin was held without a point. Will Geno start to feel some heat if he has a quiet Game 2?
- Should the Penguins make stopping Danny Briere a bigger priority than shutting down Claude Giroux? Or is it flat-out pointless to micromanage too much against a team as explosive as the Flyers?
- Ilya Bryzgalov was able to shake off a tough start, but is he the right “guy” for Philly?
- How long will it take you to get tired of that Briere offside goal? Are you already sick of it?
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32