Apr 11, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Scary stuff out of the Detroit Red Wings-Nashville Predators game: John Keating reports that Darren Helm has been admitted to a hospital after his wrist was cut by an errant skate. It probably goes without saying, but the Red Wings report that he won’t return to the game.
Here’s video of the incident, via Kukla’s Korner.
People have compared the incident to what happened to Mike Modano in his only season with the Red Wings in 2010-11. Skate-related injuries are almost always scary, so it wouldn’t be surprising if this keeps the speedy winger out for some time. We’ll keep an eye out for updates on his condition.
Helm was actually a surprise to play tonight as he missed the last 10 games of the season with a knee injury, but now he has another issue to deal with.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)