Apr 11, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Scary stuff out of the Detroit Red Wings-Nashville Predators game: John Keating reports that Darren Helm has been admitted to a hospital after his wrist was cut by an errant skate. It probably goes without saying, but the Red Wings report that he won’t return to the game.
Here’s video of the incident, via Kukla’s Korner.
People have compared the incident to what happened to Mike Modano in his only season with the Red Wings in 2010-11. Skate-related injuries are almost always scary, so it wouldn’t be surprising if this keeps the speedy winger out for some time. We’ll keep an eye out for updates on his condition.
Helm was actually a surprise to play tonight as he missed the last 10 games of the season with a knee injury, but now he has another issue to deal with.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5