Apr 11, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
According to Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma, one goal didn’t decide the game.
That was the message following his team’s collapse in a 4-3 overtime loss to Philadelphia in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal. The Penguins blew a 3-0 lead in stunning fashion — at home, to a hated rival — and it all began rather controversially.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It was a contentious goal, but the Penguins head coach wasn’t interested in calling it a game-changer.
“In the course of a game — for the linesmen — there’s a lot of scenarios that are close to being calls either way,” Bylsma said. “I think the linesman is to wish this one was a little closer than it was, when he sees it again.
“But that’s not why we lost.”
If Bylsma wanted reasons for why his team lost, he didn’t have to look far. The Penguins had three power plays when the score was 3-0, more than enough opportunities to salt the game away.
They also allowed history to repeat itself. The Penguins lost two games to the Flyers in the stretch drive by blowing 2-0 leads and seemed to overlook the fact that Philly led the NHL during the regular season by winning three games — all on the road — after falling behind by three goals.
Game 2 goes Friday at Consol Energy Center in what will be a very nervous affair for the Penguins. While the team’s PR staff noted the winner of Game 1 in the last four series involving Penguins has gone on to lose the series, Pittsburgh has to be concerned with its inability to close out the Flyers.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)