Apr 11, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Braden Holtby might just have bought himself a few calls with the nice things he’s been saying about NHL officials.
When the Capitals’ rookie goalie was asked if he was worried about the Boston Bruins crashing his crease during their first-round series, Holtby replied that he’s been through worse in the minors.
“To tell you the truth, the NHL game in front of the net is a lot easier than the AHL game. The refs are a lot more precise in their calls. That’s obviously why they’re in the NHL,” Holtby said, as per the Washington Post. “The AHL there’s a lot of stuff that goes that should be penalties and it isn’t. So that’s one thing that I think I do have to my advantage is that I’ve learned to deal through that…..People always come up saying that it was really physical and it wasn’t. It didn’t seem that way for me. So I think that’s an advantage.”
Holtby went on to say that NHL refs deserve a huge raise and that they’re the handsomest refs in sports.
But in all seriousness, it’ll be interesting to see how strict the referees are with goaltender interference during the playoffs, as it’s been such a hot-button topic this season.
Here’s VP Player Safety, Brendan Shanahan, discussing the topic on a recent episode of NHL Live.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)