Apr 10, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
In the Boston-Washington first round series, there’s no shortage of intrigue but perhaps the most compelling match-up within the series is how Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara will try and handle Capitals big gun Alex Ovechkin.
Ovechkin comes into the playoffs off a season that saw him come alive in the final month and finishing with 38 goals on the season. Chara, in all likelihood, will be a Norris Trophy finalist as best defenseman once again and he tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com he can’t wait to line up against Ovechkin.
“It’s something that motivates me,” said Chara. “It’s something that . . . I enjoy competing against the best players. Obviously they have a few great players on their team. Sometimes the matchups are hard to get, especially on the road. But when you do get them, you want to make the best of them. Overall, I love to compete, I love to work hard against whoever I’m playing against.”
Chara will likely team up with Dennis Seidenberg on defense, a pairing that was superb at shutting teams down during last year’s Stanley Cup run. With Nicklas Backstrom back for Washington as well as Alexander Semin, the Bruins have their share of guys to try and wrangle. Dealing with a motivated Chara sounds just a bit intimidating though. Thankfully we’re just jerks on a keyboard around here.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)