Apr 10, 2012, 9:57 AM EST
In the Boston-Washington first round series, there’s no shortage of intrigue but perhaps the most compelling match-up within the series is how Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara will try and handle Capitals big gun Alex Ovechkin.
Ovechkin comes into the playoffs off a season that saw him come alive in the final month and finishing with 38 goals on the season. Chara, in all likelihood, will be a Norris Trophy finalist as best defenseman once again and he tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com he can’t wait to line up against Ovechkin.
“It’s something that motivates me,” said Chara. “It’s something that . . . I enjoy competing against the best players. Obviously they have a few great players on their team. Sometimes the matchups are hard to get, especially on the road. But when you do get them, you want to make the best of them. Overall, I love to compete, I love to work hard against whoever I’m playing against.”
Chara will likely team up with Dennis Seidenberg on defense, a pairing that was superb at shutting teams down during last year’s Stanley Cup run. With Nicklas Backstrom back for Washington as well as Alexander Semin, the Bruins have their share of guys to try and wrangle. Dealing with a motivated Chara sounds just a bit intimidating though. Thankfully we’re just jerks on a keyboard around here.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)