Apr 10, 2012, 9:57 AM EST
In the Boston-Washington first round series, there’s no shortage of intrigue but perhaps the most compelling match-up within the series is how Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara will try and handle Capitals big gun Alex Ovechkin.
Ovechkin comes into the playoffs off a season that saw him come alive in the final month and finishing with 38 goals on the season. Chara, in all likelihood, will be a Norris Trophy finalist as best defenseman once again and he tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com he can’t wait to line up against Ovechkin.
“It’s something that motivates me,” said Chara. “It’s something that . . . I enjoy competing against the best players. Obviously they have a few great players on their team. Sometimes the matchups are hard to get, especially on the road. But when you do get them, you want to make the best of them. Overall, I love to compete, I love to work hard against whoever I’m playing against.”
Chara will likely team up with Dennis Seidenberg on defense, a pairing that was superb at shutting teams down during last year’s Stanley Cup run. With Nicklas Backstrom back for Washington as well as Alexander Semin, the Bruins have their share of guys to try and wrangle. Dealing with a motivated Chara sounds just a bit intimidating though. Thankfully we’re just jerks on a keyboard around here.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 14
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)