Apr 10, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
In the Boston-Washington first round series, there’s no shortage of intrigue but perhaps the most compelling match-up within the series is how Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara will try and handle Capitals big gun Alex Ovechkin.
Ovechkin comes into the playoffs off a season that saw him come alive in the final month and finishing with 38 goals on the season. Chara, in all likelihood, will be a Norris Trophy finalist as best defenseman once again and he tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com he can’t wait to line up against Ovechkin.
“It’s something that motivates me,” said Chara. “It’s something that . . . I enjoy competing against the best players. Obviously they have a few great players on their team. Sometimes the matchups are hard to get, especially on the road. But when you do get them, you want to make the best of them. Overall, I love to compete, I love to work hard against whoever I’m playing against.”
Chara will likely team up with Dennis Seidenberg on defense, a pairing that was superb at shutting teams down during last year’s Stanley Cup run. With Nicklas Backstrom back for Washington as well as Alexander Semin, the Bruins have their share of guys to try and wrangle. Dealing with a motivated Chara sounds just a bit intimidating though. Thankfully we’re just jerks on a keyboard around here.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 99
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)