Apr 10, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
In the Boston-Washington first round series, there’s no shortage of intrigue but perhaps the most compelling match-up within the series is how Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara will try and handle Capitals big gun Alex Ovechkin.
Ovechkin comes into the playoffs off a season that saw him come alive in the final month and finishing with 38 goals on the season. Chara, in all likelihood, will be a Norris Trophy finalist as best defenseman once again and he tells Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com he can’t wait to line up against Ovechkin.
“It’s something that motivates me,” said Chara. “It’s something that . . . I enjoy competing against the best players. Obviously they have a few great players on their team. Sometimes the matchups are hard to get, especially on the road. But when you do get them, you want to make the best of them. Overall, I love to compete, I love to work hard against whoever I’m playing against.”
Chara will likely team up with Dennis Seidenberg on defense, a pairing that was superb at shutting teams down during last year’s Stanley Cup run. With Nicklas Backstrom back for Washington as well as Alexander Semin, the Bruins have their share of guys to try and wrangle. Dealing with a motivated Chara sounds just a bit intimidating though. Thankfully we’re just jerks on a keyboard around here.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 42
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)