Apr 10, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
When Steve Stamkos notched his 60th goal the other night, he did something that only 19 other players had done in NHL history. What we didn’t know about Stamkos going into his run at 60 is that it’s more impressive he pulled it off than you think.
Stamkos tells the Tampa Tribune that he spent most of the final month of the season playing with a bad shoulder.
Stamkos does not know the injury occurred, but admitted he nearly missed the game against Carolina on March 10. He scored his 49th and 50th goals in the next game and finished with 10 more over the final 13 games to reach 60 for the season.
So not only was he carrying the team virtually by himself, he was doing it while injured? Steven Stamkos has big, brass ones. Given the torrid pace he closed the season with, it makes you wonder if Stamkos even felt anything at all. I know we’ll call Stamkos a “scoring machine” but he may actually be bionic if he’s able to withstand a bum shoulder with how he plays.
Stamkos is getting a MRI done on the shoulder to see if it’s badly hurt. If everything comes up clean, expect Stamkos to play for Team Canada at the World Championships in May.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)