Apr 10, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
When Steve Stamkos notched his 60th goal the other night, he did something that only 19 other players had done in NHL history. What we didn’t know about Stamkos going into his run at 60 is that it’s more impressive he pulled it off than you think.
Stamkos tells the Tampa Tribune that he spent most of the final month of the season playing with a bad shoulder.
Stamkos does not know the injury occurred, but admitted he nearly missed the game against Carolina on March 10. He scored his 49th and 50th goals in the next game and finished with 10 more over the final 13 games to reach 60 for the season.
So not only was he carrying the team virtually by himself, he was doing it while injured? Steven Stamkos has big, brass ones. Given the torrid pace he closed the season with, it makes you wonder if Stamkos even felt anything at all. I know we’ll call Stamkos a “scoring machine” but he may actually be bionic if he’s able to withstand a bum shoulder with how he plays.
Stamkos is getting a MRI done on the shoulder to see if it’s badly hurt. If everything comes up clean, expect Stamkos to play for Team Canada at the World Championships in May.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)