Apr 10, 2012, 3:14 PM EST
St. Louis head coach Ken Hitchcock has joked throughout the week that, while choosing between Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak is a great problem to have, talking about his starting goalie choice is “a pain in the ass.”
Well, the pain might’ve been alleviated.
While the ailment is not believed to be severe, it was serious enough for Blues GM Doug Armstrong to make an emergency recall of AHL Peoria goalie Jake Allen, the club’s second-round selection from the 2008 draft.
This development would make it seem that Jaroslav Halak’s likely to start Thursday when St. Louis opens its first-round series against San Jose, but Hitchcock was quick to point out that’s not the case.
“He’s fine to play, so that’s not an issue,” he said. “He’s nursing something that’s going to take a day or two to be 100 percent. But now, if the game started tomorrow and I decided on him, he’s a player.”
Of note, Hitchcock also said he’s bumped up decision day — he’ll announce his starting goalie on Wednesday rather than Thursday, which is what he originally planned for.
“I’m going to move it up a day so you guys can write about something,” he said. ”I’m going to give you a little treat.”
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 1
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 45
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)