Apr 10, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
St. Louis head coach Ken Hitchcock has joked throughout the week that, while choosing between Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak is a great problem to have, talking about his starting goalie choice is “a pain in the ass.”
Well, the pain might’ve been alleviated.
While the ailment is not believed to be severe, it was serious enough for Blues GM Doug Armstrong to make an emergency recall of AHL Peoria goalie Jake Allen, the club’s second-round selection from the 2008 draft.
This development would make it seem that Jaroslav Halak’s likely to start Thursday when St. Louis opens its first-round series against San Jose, but Hitchcock was quick to point out that’s not the case.
“He’s fine to play, so that’s not an issue,” he said. “He’s nursing something that’s going to take a day or two to be 100 percent. But now, if the game started tomorrow and I decided on him, he’s a player.”
Of note, Hitchcock also said he’s bumped up decision day — he’ll announce his starting goalie on Wednesday rather than Thursday, which is what he originally planned for.
“I’m going to move it up a day so you guys can write about something,” he said. “I’m going to give you a little treat.”
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)