Apr 10, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
St. Louis head coach Ken Hitchcock has joked throughout the week that, while choosing between Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak is a great problem to have, talking about his starting goalie choice is “a pain in the ass.”
Well, the pain might’ve been alleviated.
While the ailment is not believed to be severe, it was serious enough for Blues GM Doug Armstrong to make an emergency recall of AHL Peoria goalie Jake Allen, the club’s second-round selection from the 2008 draft.
This development would make it seem that Jaroslav Halak’s likely to start Thursday when St. Louis opens its first-round series against San Jose, but Hitchcock was quick to point out that’s not the case.
“He’s fine to play, so that’s not an issue,” he said. “He’s nursing something that’s going to take a day or two to be 100 percent. But now, if the game started tomorrow and I decided on him, he’s a player.”
Of note, Hitchcock also said he’s bumped up decision day — he’ll announce his starting goalie on Wednesday rather than Thursday, which is what he originally planned for.
“I’m going to move it up a day so you guys can write about something,” he said. “I’m going to give you a little treat.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5