Apr 10, 2012, 3:14 PM EST
St. Louis head coach Ken Hitchcock has joked throughout the week that, while choosing between Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak is a great problem to have, talking about his starting goalie choice is “a pain in the ass.”
Well, the pain might’ve been alleviated.
While the ailment is not believed to be severe, it was serious enough for Blues GM Doug Armstrong to make an emergency recall of AHL Peoria goalie Jake Allen, the club’s second-round selection from the 2008 draft.
This development would make it seem that Jaroslav Halak’s likely to start Thursday when St. Louis opens its first-round series against San Jose, but Hitchcock was quick to point out that’s not the case.
“He’s fine to play, so that’s not an issue,” he said. “He’s nursing something that’s going to take a day or two to be 100 percent. But now, if the game started tomorrow and I decided on him, he’s a player.”
Of note, Hitchcock also said he’s bumped up decision day — he’ll announce his starting goalie on Wednesday rather than Thursday, which is what he originally planned for.
“I’m going to move it up a day so you guys can write about something,” he said. “I’m going to give you a little treat.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)