Apr 10, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
One of the things you’ll notice when comparing the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers before their playoff series begins is how the Pens rely on a lot of veterans where the Flyers are being served by youth.
If you think the Flyers reliance on young players is going to hold them back in the postseason, coach Peter Laviolette has something to say to you. Laviolette tells Jay Greenberg of CSNPhilly.com that the Flyers wouldn’t be in the postseason without their young guns.
“We wouldn’t be in this situation if wasn’t for the way those guys contributed through the course of the year,” insisted Peter Laviolette Monday. “I have absolutely no doubt that they are going to play a good hockey game for us.”
When you look up and down the roster, the rookies have made themselves known. Forwards Sean Couturier, Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, and Eric Wellwood as well as defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon have all had to stand out of late. Asking them to go for up to seven games against the numerous veterans including Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin is perhaps asking too much from them.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)