Apr 10, 2012, 10:59 AM EST
One of the things you’ll notice when comparing the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers before their playoff series begins is how the Pens rely on a lot of veterans where the Flyers are being served by youth.
If you think the Flyers reliance on young players is going to hold them back in the postseason, coach Peter Laviolette has something to say to you. Laviolette tells Jay Greenberg of CSNPhilly.com that the Flyers wouldn’t be in the postseason without their young guns.
“We wouldn’t be in this situation if wasn’t for the way those guys contributed through the course of the year,” insisted Peter Laviolette Monday. “I have absolutely no doubt that they are going to play a good hockey game for us.”
When you look up and down the roster, the rookies have made themselves known. Forwards Sean Couturier, Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, and Eric Wellwood as well as defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon have all had to stand out of late. Asking them to go for up to seven games against the numerous veterans including Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin is perhaps asking too much from them.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)