Apr 10, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
One of the things you’ll notice when comparing the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers before their playoff series begins is how the Pens rely on a lot of veterans where the Flyers are being served by youth.
If you think the Flyers reliance on young players is going to hold them back in the postseason, coach Peter Laviolette has something to say to you. Laviolette tells Jay Greenberg of CSNPhilly.com that the Flyers wouldn’t be in the postseason without their young guns.
“We wouldn’t be in this situation if wasn’t for the way those guys contributed through the course of the year,” insisted Peter Laviolette Monday. “I have absolutely no doubt that they are going to play a good hockey game for us.”
When you look up and down the roster, the rookies have made themselves known. Forwards Sean Couturier, Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, and Eric Wellwood as well as defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon have all had to stand out of late. Asking them to go for up to seven games against the numerous veterans including Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin is perhaps asking too much from them.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)