Apr 10, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
One of the things you’ll notice when comparing the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers before their playoff series begins is how the Pens rely on a lot of veterans where the Flyers are being served by youth.
If you think the Flyers reliance on young players is going to hold them back in the postseason, coach Peter Laviolette has something to say to you. Laviolette tells Jay Greenberg of CSNPhilly.com that the Flyers wouldn’t be in the postseason without their young guns.
“We wouldn’t be in this situation if wasn’t for the way those guys contributed through the course of the year,” insisted Peter Laviolette Monday. “I have absolutely no doubt that they are going to play a good hockey game for us.”
When you look up and down the roster, the rookies have made themselves known. Forwards Sean Couturier, Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, and Eric Wellwood as well as defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon have all had to stand out of late. Asking them to go for up to seven games against the numerous veterans including Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin is perhaps asking too much from them.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)