Apr 10, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
There’s no shortage of reasons why Brandon Dubinsky wants to forget the 2011-12 regular season.
The Rangers forward started the campaign with a 14-game goalless drought, dropping from the second to fourth line in the process. In November, he drew headlines for calling Philadelphia’s Jody Shelley a “terrible hockey player.” At February’s trade deadline, he was rumored to be part of a package deal for Columbus’ Rick Nash and after the deal didn’t go through, he found himself in John Tortorella’s doghouse after taking a series of bad penalties.
He finished the year with just 10 goals and 34 points, way off last year’s career highs of 24 and 54.
No surprise, then, that Dubinsky wants to start anew when the Rangers take on the Senators in the opening round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
“In all reality it’s been a nightmare of a year for me,” Dubinsky told the New York Times. “You have expectations for yourself and when you don’t meet those expectations, it weighs and it kind of builds — it continues to build and build and build. It’s tough. But this is a great opportunity for me, and it’s a clean slate.
“The guys around me have picked me up and have played well enough to put us in a great position to have home-ice advantage. That gives me a little extra motivation to come out and make an impact.”
Though his postseason experience is somewhat limited, Dubinsky’s been a great playoff performer for the Rangers. He has 15 points in 22 career games and the New York Post’s Larry Brooks said he was the team’s best forward in a five-game loss to the Capitals.
While Tortorella has been hard on the 26-year-old this season, he knows he’ll need Dubinsky to step up this postseason.
“This is an important time for him, because Dubie cares,” Tortorella said. “I think he really wants to try to help the team. He’s a type of player in the playoffs that can get us to the next level.”
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Incident occurred during last night’s win over the Rangers.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Lightning rookie will miss at least the first few games of the regular season.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)