Apr 10, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
There’s no shortage of reasons why Brandon Dubinsky wants to forget the 2011-12 regular season.
The Rangers forward started the campaign with a 14-game goalless drought, dropping from the second to fourth line in the process. In November, he drew headlines for calling Philadelphia’s Jody Shelley a “terrible hockey player.” At February’s trade deadline, he was rumored to be part of a package deal for Columbus’ Rick Nash and after the deal didn’t go through, he found himself in John Tortorella’s doghouse after taking a series of bad penalties.
He finished the year with just 10 goals and 34 points, way off last year’s career highs of 24 and 54.
No surprise, then, that Dubinsky wants to start anew when the Rangers take on the Senators in the opening round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
“In all reality it’s been a nightmare of a year for me,” Dubinsky told the New York Times. “You have expectations for yourself and when you don’t meet those expectations, it weighs and it kind of builds — it continues to build and build and build. It’s tough. But this is a great opportunity for me, and it’s a clean slate.
“The guys around me have picked me up and have played well enough to put us in a great position to have home-ice advantage. That gives me a little extra motivation to come out and make an impact.”
Though his postseason experience is somewhat limited, Dubinsky’s been a great playoff performer for the Rangers. He has 15 points in 22 career games and the New York Post’s Larry Brooks said he was the team’s best forward in a five-game loss to the Capitals.
While Tortorella has been hard on the 26-year-old this season, he knows he’ll need Dubinsky to step up this postseason.
“This is an important time for him, because Dubie cares,” Tortorella said. “I think he really wants to try to help the team. He’s a type of player in the playoffs that can get us to the next level.”
Jun 19, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
It’s the first NHL game on NBCSN to surpass 4 million viewers.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
They beat the Syracuse Crunch in six games.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
“It’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now.”
Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Things are getting dramatic in Philadelphia.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 24
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 48
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 80
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires